PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] user ubuntu will login in x seconds...

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Hi I am totally new to this.
I made the CD and booted from it and I get a login screen.
I don't know any login or password or anything.
I tried guess or jus entering one but it just goes
round in circles (slow circles).

I found a tread with the same problem
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=602239

but there does not appear to be a solution there.

I can't believe I am the only one with this problem.

It has been a really bad experience to be honest.

Can anybody help?

It seems like I am wasting my time.

I can't belive they release stuff which does not work.

I tried the gnome session stuff but that made no difference
and the other sessions stuff.

I don't know ubuntu so a terminal screen is not much use to me
is it?

kelvin spratt
June 27th, 2008, 07:23 AM
It sounds like you need to install drivers for your graphics card a bit daunting if you are new to Linux. Post your graphic card specs and somebody will be able to help. their has been a lot of changes to drivers from ATI/Nvidia of late and the latest cards are very complex. The good news is ATI/NVidia linux driver support is now almost on par with with windows. I use the latest Nvidia gamers card on my 64bit rig. and find a lot of linux Distros have the same problems till I install the latest drivers.

mcduck
June 27th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Sound like you have a bad CD. Check the MD5SUM of the image you downloaded, and if it's not correct download the image again. I recommend downloading with Bittorrent as it automatically checks the file, making corrupted downloads much less likely.

Of course you can also just try to check your CD, the option is in the boot menu.

"I can't belive they release stuff which does not work." If it wouldn't work, what do you think we all are doing here?

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 07:35 AM
It sounds like you need to install drivers for your graphics card a bit daunting if you are new to Linux. Post your graphic card specs and somebody will be able to help. their has been a lot of changes to drivers from ATI/Nvidia of late and the latest cards are very complex. The good news is ATI/NVidia linux driver support is now almost on par with with windows. I use the latest Nvidia gamers card on my 64bit rig. and find a lot of linux Distros have the same problems till I install the latest drivers.

Excuse me if I sound angry because well quite frankly I am.
Yea it does sound daunting no doubt about that.
My graphic is Radean Express 200, it's hardly the latest model is it?
(onboard graphics).

However before we go down that path can you tell me what username
and password I should be using?
Remember there was no mention of a login in the 'installation notes' or lack there off.
Or am I meant to be creating a new login? I don't know because quite frankly
it is the most unhelpfully thing I have ever came across. I guess there must be a reason for that?

But thank you for trying to be help

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Sound like you have a bad CD. Check the MD5SUM of the image you downloaded, and if it's not correct download the image again. I recommend downloading with Bittorrent as it automatically checks the file, making corrupted downloads much less likely.

Of course you can also just try to check your CD, the option is in the boot menu.

"I can't belive they release stuff which does not work." If it wouldn't work, what do you think we all are doing here?

I have checked it and it was fine.

I have burnt two different disks too.

Sometimes it says the password is incorrect.

When I first try am I creating a password?

I don't know because I am not very good at mind reading.

Well if it don't work why not say so on the can rather having me waste my time?

iaculallad
June 27th, 2008, 07:48 AM
The very first time I encountered that error was when I tried to remaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remastersys) my then Feisty Fawn Operating System. I didn't quite follow the steps so that error message was the output of my mess.

Where did you get that ISO image file?

Before giving up, try to download your ISO image file on any of the location nearest to you listed on this Ubuntu Page (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors).

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 08:06 AM
The very first time I encountered that error was when I tried to remaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remastersys) my then Feisty Fawn Operating System. I didn't quite follow the steps so that error message was the output of my mess.

Where did you get that ISO image file?

Before giving up, try to download your ISO image file on any of the location nearest to you listed on this Ubuntu Page (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors).

I got them from here:-

http://ubuntu.virginmedia.com/releases/
http://ubuntu.virginmedia.com/releases/8.04/
and the AMD desktop 64 bit package.

iaculallad
June 27th, 2008, 08:20 AM
One last suggestion is for you to download from another link. Say, the link I suggested above.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM
One last suggestion is for you to download from another link. Say, the link I suggested above.

Thanks, but that's the link I used in the first place.

cariboo907
June 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM
It would help if you told us what version you are using, and whether you are running from the live cd or if you actually installed Ubuntu.

Jim

iaculallad
June 27th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks, but that's the link I used in the first place.

And it didn't work? Oowwwsss???.. I've had downloaded a copy of Ubuntu Hardy Desktop/Server on that page for my testing purpose and my installation went fine without causing pain in my head.

Well, before burning another Ubuntu ISO image, try reading this page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BurningIsoHowto) first. It could save you few pennies on buying CD/DVD mediums.

sonofusion82
June 27th, 2008, 08:37 AM
perhaps you can try to use the alternate install disc.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 08:42 AM
And it didn't work? Oowwwsss???.. I've had downloaded a copy of Ubuntu Hardy Desktop/Server on that page for my testing purpose and my installation went fine without causing pain in my head.

Well, before burning another Ubuntu ISO image, try reading this page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BurningIsoHowto) first. It could save you few pennies on buying CD/DVD mediums.

I am pretty sure they burn't fine.
As I said they I burnt two.

The chance of both having the same problem are in my humble opinion zero.
One is a CD one is A DVD, no errors reported on burning.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM
perhaps you can try to use the alternate install disc.

Yea there are a lot of things I could try, I am going to try the intel one now.

But I think I am going to give up.

It have been a huge disapointment to be honest, it a way i expected it would not work somehow.

cariboo907
June 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM
You still haven't answered my question, what version are you running, and are you running off the livecd or did you install Ubuntu?

Jim

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM
In many distributions notably SLAX, the username and password is given in text mode. So try pressing Ctrl + Alt + F1 and see whether it asks for login and whether user name and password are given.
You can also try various combinations of user name and password. User name is definitely ubuntu but password could be ubuntu, pass, password. Try them! Do they work?

cariboo907
June 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I did a little research and this is what I came up with:

Ubuntu 7.10
Username: ubuntu
Password:

Ubuntu 7.04
Password:

Ubuntu 6.06
Password:

Kubuntu 6.06
Password:

Xubuntu 7.04
Password:

LinuxMint
Username: mint
Password:

Jim

iaculallad
June 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Yea there are a lot of things I could try, I am going to try the intel one now.

But I think I am going to give up.

It have been a huge disapointment to be honest, it a way i expected it would not work somehow.

Are you saying you're to install Ubuntu for Intel? No.no.. Ubuntu can support both of AMD and Intel's 32-bit and 64-bit architecture processor. If you're using a 32-bit processor, try to install ONLY the 32-bit version and not the 64-bit version. 64-bit arch processor can both support 32-and-64 bit version of Ubuntu.

Just don't give up and don't get disappointed, those problems are just the rough stones you step on when trudging the path of Linux. Be patient enough to do your googling.. as in time, it will payoff (you, becoming more at ease on using Ubuntu (Linux).

mcduck
June 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Even the fact that it's asking for username/password on the live-cd is enough to tell that there is something wrong with your disk.. Did you really check the MD5SUM for the image (and compare it to the ones on ubuntu's own site)?

Also you say you are "pretty sure" they burnt fine.. So you didn't actually check the disks?

If the original, downloaded image is wrong or corrupted it doesn't make any difference if it burns to disk without errors.

Elfy
June 27th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Even the fact that it's asking for username/password on the live-cd is enough to tell that there is something wrong with your disk.. Did you really check the MD5SUM for the image (and compare it to the ones on ubuntu's own site)?

Also you say you are "pretty sure" they burnt fine.. So you didn't actually check the disks?

If the original, downloaded image is wrong or corrupted it doesn't make any difference if it burns to disk without errors.

and with that we return to this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=842117

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Yes I checked the images they check sum matched.
My CD/DVD drive has never burnt a bad disk before, and if it had a problem
with the burn it would have aborted anyway.

I also had the disk verified by the Ubuntu thing on the disk and it found nothing wrong.

I have downloaded about a terra byte of data without one error. I doubt I would be getting one now.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Are you saying you're to install Ubuntu for Intel? No.no.. Ubuntu can support both of AMD and Intel's 32-bit and 64-bit architecture processor. If you're using a 32-bit processor, try to install ONLY the 32-bit version and not the 64-bit version. 64-bit arch processor can both support 32-and-64 bit version of Ubuntu.

Just don't give up and don't get disappointed, those problems are just the rough stones you step on when trudging the path of Linux. Be patient enough to do your googling.. as in time, it will payoff (you, becoming more at ease on using Ubuntu (Linux).

My processor supports 64 bit code.
The intel version also worked, or should I say failed in the same manner at the login.

I have a pretty bog standard computer, the disks I burn't are as they were initended to be, there is no doubt about that.

Anyway is says user Ubuntu will login in win so many seconds.
When his time was up Ubuntu failed to login.

So if he can't do it i have no chance.

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 09:42 AM
My processor supports 64 bit code.
The intel version also worked, or should I say failed in the same manner at the login.

I have a pretty bog standard computer, the disks I burn't are as they were initended to be, there is no doubt about that.

Anyway is says user Ubuntu will login in win so many seconds.
When his time was up Ubuntu failed to login.

So if he can't do it i have no chance.

When you go to terminal by Ctrl + Alt + F1 and enter user: ubuntu and a blank password. Does this work?

BTW
The AMD64 version is NOT ONLY for AMD processors.
AMD64 version -> 64bit processors incl AMD64 and Intel64
Intel x86 -> Almost all Intel and AMD processors

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM
You still haven't answered my question, what version are you running, and are you running off the livecd or did you install Ubuntu?

Jim

I am running off the livecd, there is no way in the world I would risk installing it on my computer because I fear it would never work again.
My experience with the CD seems to back that up wholeheartedly.
I may have wasted a lot of time but at least my computer still works, so every cloud has silver lining I guess.
I guess the people who actually inistall it don't have a usable PC to post to this forum :lolflag:
I guess you have to have a sense of humour with Ubuntu :O)

Elfy
June 27th, 2008, 09:47 AM
If you have downloaded a couple of different iso's and burnt them a few times - it might be you need to use some of the options (which I'm not sure of as I've never needed to do it).

What pc/laptop is it that is having the problem, perhaps there are already reported problems with your model.

Just a little one as well - if you are trying to use Ubuntu as a username have you tried ubuntu - probably have so just checking :)

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 09:47 AM
When you go to terminal by Ctrl + Alt + F1 and enter user: ubuntu and a blank password. Does this work?

BTW

No it does not work.
I have not tried it yet but I will reboot now and confirm it.
Back in 10 minutes :lolflag:

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I guess the people who actually inistall it don't have a usable PC to post to this forum :lolflag:
I guess you have to have a sense of humour with Ubuntu :O)
I have a usable PC with Ubuntu as I post here. It is more usable than Windows anyway.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I have a usable PC with Ubuntu as I post here. It is more usable than Windows anyway.

Well you certainly did not run it from the distribution I got it from then and you did or rather if you did you did not run it direct from the CD which clearly does not work.

I did accidently click the install Ubuntu option and then it did appear to be actually doing something useful. I clicked more information about the
installation process and it actually accessed the internet.

However I wished I had not clicked on the install in the first place and as there
was an option to abort the installation I was very glad to take it. I was wondering, understandable if my PC would still work.
Thankfully it does or else I would not be here.

Obviously my experience so far give me no confidence that thngs will work out well and I can't risk losing my main computer.

I do however have another much older computer and I will try it on that another time when I have set it up (assuming it still works).

I don't know what the installtion process does, if it over write windows I am totally screwed and I can't risk that.

What does it do anyway? I can't risk running it if I lose windows.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 10:19 AM

BTW

I tried that and it did not work, it put up the password screen but nothing appeared when I typed, I then noticed the mouse did not work either.
Basically it crashed.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 10:22 AM
What happend during the installation process? (to the PC)
Does it destroy windows?
I have another disk on my machine so I could take out the one with windows
on and use the other disk which just contains data which I could afford to lose.

mcduck
June 27th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Well you certainly did not run it from the distribution I got it from then and you did or rather if you did you did not run it direct from the CD which clearly does not work.

Come on! You can't seriously believe that. Or then you are just trying to get rid of people trying to help you.

There are estimated 8 million Ubuntu users. just because _you_ can't get it to work doesn't mean that it wouldn't work for anybody else.

I've been using Ubuntu as my one and only OS on all my 6 computers since 2004, and this far I haven't had a single problem with it. I've also installed it to many of my friends and their experience has been just as great as mine.

edit: When logging in from command line the mouse will not work (what use would a mouse be at CLI anyway?), and when typing your password you are not supposed to see any letters /stars appearing on the screen. just type the username& password and press enter. Your computer is not frozen, echoing passwords with stars is a bad way of doing things (as other people can see how long the password is).

The installation will only overwrite your Windows install if you tell it to do so.

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I tried that and it did not work, it put up the password screen but nothing appeared when I typed, I then noticed the mouse did not work either.
Basically it crashed.
There is no mouse in the terminal. It is supposed to work like that! The password is not shown, its invisible but it accepts your password.
Go back again:
try user User ubuntu (all smallcaps)
and try a blank password

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Come on! You can't seriously believe that. Or then you are just trying to get rid of people trying to help you.

There are estimated 8 million Ubuntu users. just because _you_ can't get it to work doesn't mean that it wouldn't work for anybody else.

I've been using Ubuntu as my one and only OS on all my 6 computers since 2004, and this far I haven't had a single problem with it. I've also installed it to many of my friends and their experience has been just as great as mine.

I have posted where I got my distribution from, if you don't believe me you can and run it from the CD.

It did however appear to be working when accidently began the installation
to my PC, it could do graphics and acces the internet.
But I aborted the installation because I was unsure what was happening as in would I still be able to run wiindows if it failed.

Here I got it from here.

The run from CD version clearly has a problem as far as I can see but the
version you install looks far more promising, however given my experience
so far and lack of knowledge as to what happens during the installation meant I could not risk proceeding. However it did look OK, it put up some fancy graphics etc but I coudl not risk it at this stage.

Does it give you a dual boot system??

mcduck
June 27th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I have posted where I got my distribution from, if you don't believe me you can and run it from the CD.

It did however appear to be working when accidently began the installation
to my PC, it could do graphics and acces the internet.
But I aborted the installation because I was unsure what was happening as in would I still be able to run wiindows if it failed.

Here I got it from here.

The run from CD version clearly has a problem as far as I can see but the
version you install looks far more promising, however given my experience
so far and lack of knowledge as to what happens during the installation meant I could not risk proceeding. However it did look OK, it put up some fancy graphics etc but I coudl not risk it at this stage.

Does it give you a dual boot system??

You have several options during the install:

- use the whole drive (which will erase everything and only install Ubuntu on it)

-resize existing partition and make room for Ubuntu, which will do what it says, resize the Windows partition to make room for Ubuntu, and then install a dual-boot system for you.

- use largest available space. if you have empty, unpartitioned disk space this will install Ubuntu there, and makes a dual-boot system if you have other operating systems (like Windows) already installed

- manual. Allows you to do the partitioning yourself as you wish, and also makes a dual-boot system if you have Windows installed and you do not remove it during the partitioning.

I always download my install disks from Ubuntu's main server, using Bittorrent, do a MD5 check, and then burn the image to high-quality disks at 4x speed. Like I mentioned, I've never had any troubles with the disks.

mjwhitfield
June 27th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Does it destroy windows?It will RUIN your machine, it might even catch fire during the install process. Throw the CDs out before it's too late!

You should also stop posting here, I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend that once he posted on forums then his big toe on his left foot fell off in his sleep!

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Do Not Forget To Defragment Windows Partitions If You Want To Resize And Install Ubuntu

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM
You have several options during the install:

- use the whole drive (which will erase everything and only install Ubuntu on it)

-resize existing partition and make room for Ubuntu, which will do what it says, resize the Windows partition to make room for Ubuntu, and then install a dual-boot system for you.

- use largest available space. if you have empty, unpartitioned disk space this will install Ubuntu there, and makes a dual-boot system if you have other operating systems (like Windows) already installed

- manual. Allows you to do the partitioning yourself as you wish, and also makes a dual-boot system if you have Windows installed and you do not remove it during the partitioning.

I always download my install disks from Ubuntu's main server, using Bittorrent, do a MD5 check, and then burn the image to high-quality disks at 4x speed. Like I mentioned, I've never had any troubles with the disks.

Hello!!

I am actually posting from the installation disk, not windows so at least I am confident I can access the internet so I have a lot more confidence now!!

However I don't want to touch the drive with windows on it yet as I have another drive on the machine. Can I use that?

I have no unpartitioned space on it though it is just one big partition with lots of space on it.
Can I partition it without losing the other data on it? I have not done that before.

I will try that tomorrow, but at least I feel I am usuinig ubuntu in a way
at least for web surfing anyway.

I mean there don't appear to be any help screens or anything like that so you are going into it blind in a way. Note when I clicked the installation notes it popped up the web browser, which at least means I have a computer with internet access if everything turns pear shaped :O)

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Do Not Forget To Defragment Windows Partitions If You Want To Resize And Install Ubuntu

Do I have to create a partition?
I guess I won't be able to access my windows files from ubuntu?
I will try and do it on my second drive, that seems sensible.
Can I partition from windows first?

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
If you are so scared you can indeed try installing Ubuntu by Wubi.
However if you really want to install Ubuntu on a physical partition.
(1) Boot into Windows.
(2) Defragment that single partition which in your case I presume is C: in Windows.
(3) Make sure the end of the partition is empty(you can see this in defrag utility in Windows)

Boot back into Ubuntu and come back here. We will tell you rest of the steps.

P.S.: Defragmenting the Hard Disk is very important or else you can possibly damage your Windows installation.

mcduck
June 27th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Hello!!

I am actually posting from the installation disk, not windows so at least I am confident I can access the internet so I have a lot more confidence now!!

However I don't want to touch the drive with windows on it yet as I have another drive on the machine. Can I use that?

I have no unpartitioned space on it though it is just one big partition with lots of space on it.
Can I partition it without losing the other data on it? I have not done that before.

I will try that tomorrow, but at least I feel I am usuinig ubuntu in a way
at least for web surfing anyway.

I mean there don't appear to be any help screens or anything like that so you are going into it blind in a way.

Yes, if you select the manual partitioning you can choose your other disk and resize the existing partition on that disk to make room for Ubuntu. (It's a good idea to run defrag for that partition beforehand in Windows, in recovery mode if possible).

If the partition has some important data you should make a backup, just in case, but one should always have a backup of all important data anyway..

The installer will tell you what it's doing and give you help during the install. There are also some websites that have walkthroughs of the install process with pictures and everything (I'm at work atm so I can't give you any exact link).

Of course you can keep on running Ubuntu from the CD. It's a nice way to get more familiar with the system, if you have enough RAM you can actually even install new programs and stuff while running the live-CD (they will disappear if youreboot, though, as they are only installed into memory).

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Do I have to create a partition?
I guess I won't be able to access my windows files from ubuntu?
I will try and do it on my second drive, that seems sensible.
Can I partition from windows first?

You can access your Windows files from Ubuntu easily. However you wont be able to access Ubuntu files from Windows unless you install 3rd party tools.
You cannot partition from Windows. But before you partition, defragement your Windows partition before you resize, I cant stress that enough.
If possible use a 3rd party defragging tool.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 11:12 AM
It will RUIN your machine, it might even catch fire during the install process. Throw the CDs out before it's too late!

You should also stop posting here, I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend that once he posted on forums then his big toe on his left foot fell off in his sleep!

No need to take the ****.
I am sure it is perfectly possible to screw your machine during the installation if you are not careful.
This is meant to be for beginners. Most PC users will have never created a disk partion before and the difficulty in installing ubuntu is absolutely
certainly a reason why a lot of people do not use it.
Even getting as far as creating the disk is a process which would be beyond many users. It is not user friendly enough for most.

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM
These links may help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing
http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/Installing_Ubuntu_with_Windows_Dual-Boot

I should mention you can view these tutorials while installing Ubuntu

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 11:16 AM
If you are so scared you can indeed try installing Ubuntu by Wubi.
However if you really want to install Ubuntu on a physical partition.
(1) Boot into Windows.
(2) Defragment that single partition which in your case I presume is C: in Windows.
(3) Make sure the end of the partition is empty(you can see this in defrag utility in Windows)

Boot back into Ubuntu and come back here. We will tell you rest of the steps.

P.S.: Defragmenting the Hard Disk is very important or else you can possibly damage your Windows installation.

I have never even hear of Wubi, no idea what it is, the name is meaning less as is common with unix.
Anyway I will try it tomorrow.

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I am sure it is perfectly possible to screw your machine during the installation if you are not careful.
This is meant to be for beginners. Most PC users will have never created a disk partion before and the difficulty in installing ubuntu is absolutely
Even getting as far as creating the disk is a process which would be beyond many users. It is not user friendly enough for most.

I'm sure even in Windows you have to partition your disk. And you need to create backup disks or search for the Windows recovery disk.
Try installing Windows after you install Ubuntu and then you'll know what user friendly means.
Windows will overwrite your GRUB, i.e. Will render Ubuntu unbootable until you fix GRUB. Its installation does not offer to resize partitions and you cannot try Windows before you install it.
I guess you havent installed Windows before?

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I have never even hear of Wubi, no idea what it is, the name is meaning less as is common with unix.
Anyway I will try it tomorrow.
Well. To install Ubuntu by Wubi.
Boot into Windows.
Insert the Ubuntu install CD.
It will autorun.
Select the option to install Ubuntu inside Windows.

Advantages of Wubi:
Then you get a full Ubuntu installation.
In case you want to remove Ubuntu, you can remove it easily by Windows Add/Remove.
You do not need to alter your partition table.

Disadvantage of Wubi:
Hibernate does not work.
In case you want to remove Windows completely Ubuntu will go away with it too.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Anyway thanks eveyone who has tried to help I know it has not been easy :O)

I will try to get a little further up Everest tomorrow :lolflag:

ByteJuggler
June 27th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Never mind...

mjwhitfield
June 27th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I guess you haven't installed Windows before?The Windows installer is god awful. Even once you're past it you have an hour or so of fun installing all your device drivers.

I have never even hear of WubiGoogle it then. Do you need your hand holding the whole time?

the name is meaning less as is common with unixLast time I checked, I wasn't using Unix. Also, Wubi is a Windows program. Last but not least, the reason it means nothing to you is because you haven't looked for information on it.

I will try to get a little further up Everest tomorrowThe other mountaineers are hoping you'll call in sick.

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 11:29 AM
The Windows installer is god awful. Even once you're past it you have an hour or so of fun installing all your device drivers.

Google it then. Do you need your hand holding the whole time?

Last time I checked, I wasn't using Unix. Also, Wubi is a Windows program. Last but not least, the reason it means nothing to you is because you haven't looked for information on it.

The other mountaineers are hoping you'll call in sick.

I guess newbies are bit more scared to venture into Linux and try to get help as much as possible. It will seem Mount Everest to him at first but if he opens up his mind a bit and gets more comfortable and his hardware is supported he would start using Linux and solve his problems by himself.

mjwhitfield
June 27th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I have infinite patience with people who are willing to learn about computer stuff. But so far he's spent a large amount of time being rude to people on the forums, and has already had one thread locked because of it.

On a related note, I wholly agree with you, installing any O/S is not a trivial matter for people who have little understanding of how their machine works beyond "So I click on the 'Word' icon, then click 'ok'... Oh look i can type a letter now!". Windows 'power' users tend to be the least tolerant when trying Linux/BSD/Solaris/OSX, they think they know how to use a computer, but really, they just know how to use Windows. Having your skill set rendered useless can be hugely frustrating.

Trying something because you're curious is different to trying something because you want to learn it. If the OP had shown willing to learn then I'd be more inclined to help. So far he's demanded answers, then when they weren't what he wanted to hear, he's become abusive/rude.

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I have infinite patience with people who are willing to learn about computer stuff. But so far he's spent a large amount of time being rude to people on the forums, and has already had one thread locked because of it.

On a related note, I wholly agree with you, installing any O/S is not a trivial matter for people who have little understanding of how their machine works beyond "So I click on the 'Word' icon, then click 'ok'... Oh look i can type a letter now!". Windows 'power' users tend to be the least tolerant when trying Linux/BSD/Solaris/OSX, they think they know how to use a computer, but really, they just know how to use Windows. Having your skill set rendered useless can be hugely frustrating.

Trying something because you're curious is different to trying something because you want to learn it. If the OP had shown willing to learn then I'd be more inclined to help. So far he's demanded answers, then when they weren't what he wanted to hear, he's become abusive/rude.
I agree with you mostly. But we cannot extinguish fire with fire. At best we can try to help them and if they become rude or offensive, we must ignore them, (in support forums at least, Testimonials and Cafe is the place where we should argue)

ByteJuggler
June 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Of course it is perfectly possible to screw your machine up during installation if you're not careful. It is, of course, also easy to screw your machine up (re)installing Windows. So the difficulty of installation is a given, whatever OS you're using. The fact is that most people buy their computers pre-installed. At the minute the OS pre-installed is generally Windows, but you can get Linux pre-installed as well (e.g. from Dell.)

So, anyone who falls into the category of not being able to or wanting to gain the understanding neccessary to (re)install a new operating system (whether Windows or Linux) should simply not try to do so and get someone else to do it for them. Otherwise, having some patience and willingness to learn and listen comes with the territory. Ubuntu's installer is by now, arguably actually far easier and more flexible to use compared to Windows's, not least because you're booted into a full desktop environment with full net access (if all works as intended.)

So anyway. Take a deep breath, accept that this is an alien operating system which isn't Windows, and that thus you'll have to learn a lot of new things and see a lot of things you won't understand at first sight, and that things sometimes won't work as intended. And remember, you're not going to make people more inclined to want to help you by throwing tantrums and moaning all the time.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I am currently defragging my second drive and I will try and install it on there.
It is 250 gig. I also have a smaller 4 gig drive which I could try which might be quicker, it will not need defragging, just copying the stuff (a few minutes).
Looks like about a hour to finish the defrag.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Of course it is perfectly possible to screw your machine up during installation if you're not careful. It is, of course, also easy to screw your machine up (re)installing Windows. So the difficulty of installation is a given, whatever OS you're using. The fact is that most people buy their computers pre-installed. At the minute the OS pre-installed is generally Windows, but you can get Linux pre-installed as well (e.g. from Dell.)

So, anyone who falls into the category of not being able to or wanting to gain the understanding neccessary to (re)install a new operating system (whether Windows or Linux) should simply not try to do so and get someone else to do it for them. Otherwise, having some patience and willingness to learn and listen comes with the territory. Ubuntu's installer is by now, arguably actually far easier and more flexible to use compared to Windows's, not least because you're booted into a full desktop environment with full net access (if all works as intended.)

So anyway. Take a deep breath, accept that this is an alien operating system which isn't Windows, and that thus you'll have to learn a lot of new things and see a lot of things you won't understand at first sight, and that things sometimes won't work as intended. And remember, you're not going to make people more inclined to want to help you by throwing tantrums and moaning all the time.

I think it has been established has it not that the disk image availble to down load ( from a recommended sourse) is faulty in that it will not run from the CD?

Is that accepted or not?

If that is not accepted then why would it not work?

Elfy
June 27th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I downloaded from where you did this morning to check and it mounted ok in a virtual machine.

But if at somepoint you managed to get as far as the install part then I'm really not sure what is causing your particular problem.

I would be inclined to not install it to the 4 Gb disc it's a bit small for it as it will also be looking to put a swap ther as well.

You could try to install it inside windows with the wubi installer - it wqill at least leet you see whether you want to use it.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I am running (or rather not running) from the live CD, ie uninstalled on my machine and it is version 8.04 the latest version.
I am also downloading the previous version to see it it has the same problem.

Would be hard to believe both versions had the same problem?
(or maybe not I don't know),

Elfy
June 27th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I thought the problem was that you couldn't get the cd to run? I gave up reading tbh I was getting abit confused by the twists and turns.

If you are downloading the last version are you doing it from the main server or the virgin one again, also are you getting it as a torrent?

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I downloaded from where you did this morning to check and it mounted ok in a virtual machine.

But if at somepoint you managed to get as far as the install part then I'm really not sure what is causing your particular problem.

I would be inclined to not install it to the 4 Gb disc it's a bit small for it as it will also be looking to put a swap ther as well.

You could try to install it inside windows with the wubi installer - it wqill at least leet you see whether you want to use it.

But could you run it from the CD?
I am not sure what you mean by a virtual machine,you should be able to
run it from the CD on a PC. The virtual machine thing just clouds the issue.

It would not need swop probably as I have 1.2 gig of memory my windows
XP runs in half that.
Anyway I have defragged my 250 gig drive.
I will have a go at putting it on there.
I am also getting an earlier versin 7.10? and I will try running that from the C.

Should I partition my drive in windows? That seems like agood idea to me?

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I thought the problem was that you couldn't get the cd to run? I gave up reading tbh I was getting abit confused by the twists and turns.

If you are downloading the last version are you doing it from the main server or the virgin one again, also are you getting it as a torrent?

I can't get it to run from the CD.
I did however get it work when I tryed to install it, but did not.
I clicked the release notes instead which weirdly popped up the web browser.
Which gives the impression it is running does it not?
However I just had the web browser, nothing else.
Bit weird eh?

Elfy
June 27th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Running direct from the iso is no different , other than the medium, if it wasn't going to work it wouldn't.

One of the first things you will notice is how memory is handled - windows uses it as it needs, linux will use it up much quicker - because it uses as much as it can to have things you have used recently ready.

I would always prefer to prepare the partitions before I start the installation - you could do it a couple of ways

make partitions and install to them
let the installer resize the partition and install to it

2nd option is maybe a bit simpler because you just point and go basically, I did it that way on the first installation myself.

If you want to prepare the partitions yourself I can hang about a bit if you want, let me know.

Whatever you do - do not use the install to whole disc - it obviously does what it says :)

Elfy
June 27th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Right - please clarify this.

Are you saying that you have got the livecd booted and you are on the desktop, but if you try to install from it it fails?

Spydr4590
June 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Sounds like you have a bad burn. This could be either bad ram (Memory) or a bad hard disk. Most likely you have corrupt ram. I'd use a different computer and burn a memory test cd from http://www.memtest.org/

Let it run for 30 mins on the computer you're having issues with. If you have bad memory you'll need to test each module till you find the bad one. Then remove that and redownload/burn. Or the simplest thing would be just burn from another computer.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Ok let me just give you all an update.
I tried version 7.10 and I have had much more success, I currrent have the
desktop and web browser and it appears to be all up and running nicely.

I have not installed it yet but to all extents and purposes it is running ubuntu from the CD. I guess I have no real need to install it on my comp
right now because well, I have everything I need, I can see my old files
on the computer etc.

This is exacly the same experience I would get if I had installed it.

OK so now back to my previous problems.
As I have said before I am pretty much certain there was a problem which
the image I downloaded previously 8.04
I am pretty certain about that.
I made 2 seperate disks, a CD and a DVD which both were not fit for purpose to put it mildly.

I had no burn problems reported on either, indeed it is only on this version which runs as passed is own intergirty check which seemed to report
something unusual but it was ambiguous.

Also there was none of the login nonsense as that I had earlier.

So can we accept thatther is something wrong with the version available.

Incidently all versions passed the checksum test, apart from this one
because I never bothered testing it as I know it is a waste of time.
They will all pass the test. It's a million to one shot it will fail during the download.

So.....what's the verdict then?

Are you prepared to admit I am right or are you going to maintain that
somehow I did something wrong.

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Right - please clarify this.

Are you saying that you have got the livecd booted and you are on the desktop, but if you try to install from it it fails?

All got when I tried to run from the live cd on the versin is question 8.04
was some stupid login screen which never worked.

Recluctently I then clicked the install option which brought up something
resembling a desktop but the only thing you could do was to install it,
there was however a web link to click which brought up firefox (which worked fine), I had no tool bars or desktop icons as I do now on a seperate version
I downloaded 7,0.4. (I used a different mirror, however it passed the checksum so I have the same version as on every mirror).

I never tried to install that initial version because quite frankly I was to scared to, I looked like a pile of **** as far as I can see and I could not risk such a suspect release getting anywhere near my only operating system inicase it screwed it up. I thank that is pretty sensible don't you?
Would you install something which clearly had major faults?

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Sounds like you have a bad burn. This could be either bad ram (Memory) or a bad hard disk. Most likely you have corrupt ram. I'd use a different computer and burn a memory test cd from http://www.memtest.org/

Let it run for 30 mins on the computer you're having issues with. If you have bad memory you'll need to test each module till you find the bad one. Then remove that and redownload/burn. Or the simplest thing would be just burn from another computer.

Not in a million years. The only thing bad about the burn was the image I got
from the mirrors.
I got 3 in total. They all had EXACTLY THE SAME FAULT.

I think it is about time the problem with the release was fixed rather than denyinig it exists because it does?

How do I report this major fault with the release?

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I have been accused of being rude and arrogant in this thread however I think
I have just been honest about a very bad release.
And believe me I toned down my comments considerably.

Shazaam
June 27th, 2008, 11:25 PM
There are a RARE few who, depending on their pc hardware, have nothing but trouble running/installing different versions of linux/Ubuntu. You may be one of those unlucky few but don't give up. My brothers Dell desktop REFUSES to load Ubuntu Dapper (Ubuntu version 6.06) but happily runs Hardy (ver.8.04). If you like 7.10 and it works for you use it. If not you could wait for 8.10 and see if that works out.

ByteJuggler
June 27th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I think it is about time the problem with the release was fixed rather than denyinig it exists because it does?

How do I report this major fault with the release?

Trying hard not to be rude here, but I think it's about time you recognize that there's a fault, but it isn't what you think it is. With respect, you're the Linux newbie here. So, when people with more experience tries to help you, don't assume you know better, listen to them, and try and work with them, rather than taking in an argumentative stance, which is what I (and apparently many others in this thread) picked up from your posts. For your information, I have several machines that installed from the 8.04 release. So it's not, as you seem to be implying, a fault that everyone would neccesarily see. I'm of course not saying there isn't an issue, there obviously is, but it isn't as cut and dried as you make out, so quit with the attitude already. It's been rather hard to decipher what it might be from what you've said so far. That said, I do recommend you report your problem, just don't go exagerating it beyond what it in reality is -- you having some sort of problem on your specific hardware configuration. In order to properly report it you/we also ideally need to try and nail down as much information as possible about what is actually causing the problem. To report it visit Launchpad, here. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu)

Let me spell out some facts/think out loud for a bit:

1.) There is no difference between the "Try out Ubuntu" option (which you say fails for you) and the "Install Ubuntu" (which you puzzlingly said worked for you), EXCEPT that the latter option immediately starts the installer program, while the former boots you into a desktop with a shortcut to the installer program. Thus, the fact that you had a problem booting into the desktop but managed to get the installer going is quite conflicting and contradictory. Normally either they'd both work or they'd both not work. It suggests there's something intermittent going on on your system, what it might be is hard to diagnose without more
information.

2.) The fact that the previous version works... well, that makes me wonder about graphics drivers. But, I've got a laptop with a Radeon 200M Express chipset, which is what you have IIRC, and 8.04 worked/installed fine on that so that leaves me again, somewhat puzzled.

3.) I actually suggest you try the WUBI install option of 8.04 on your Windows installation. It will allow you to try out Ubuntu 8.04 without having to repartition. Insert the Ubuntu 8.04 CD into your CD drive while inside Windows, and install from there. It will allocate space for Ubuntu's disks in files on your Windows filesystem and avoid you having to repartition. You can then try it and get rid of it again by uninstalling from Windows.

4.) Alternatively, install from the 7.10 CD, and then perform an upgrade. The fact that 7.10 works, does suggest some driver issue, and while it's hardly optimal to install 7.10 and then do an online upgrade, it may be *a* way to go.

Hope that helps.

Dutch70
June 28th, 2008, 12:35 AM
anyone here like football, I was just wondering if any one here liked football?

edit: I like football! anyone here like soccer?

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Trying hard not to be rude here, but I think it's about time you recognize that there's a fault, but it isn't what you think it is. With respect, you're the Linux newbie here. So, when people with more experience tries to help you, don't assume you know better, listen to them, and try and work with them, rather than taking in an argumentative stance, which is what I (and apparently many others in this thread) picked up from your posts. For your information, I have several machines that installed from the 8.04 release. So it's not, as you seem to be implying, a fault that everyone would neccesarily see. I'm of course not saying there isn't an issue, there obviously is, but it isn't as cut and dried as you make out, so quit with the attitude already. It's been rather hard to decipher what it might be from what you've said so far. That said, I do recommend you report your problem, just don't go exagerating it beyond what it in reality is -- you having some sort of problem on your specific hardware configuration. In order to properly report it you/we also ideally need to try and nail down as much information as possible about what is actually causing the problem. To report it visit Launchpad, here. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu)

Let me spell out some facts/think out loud for a bit:

1.) There is no difference between the "Try out Ubuntu" option (which you say fails for you) and the "Install Ubuntu" (which you puzzlingly said worked for you), EXCEPT that the latter option immediately starts the installer program, while the former boots you into a desktop with a shortcut to the installer program. Thus, the fact that you had a problem booting into the desktop but managed to get the installer going is quite conflicting and contradictory. Normally either they'd both work or they'd both not work. It suggests there's something intermittent going on on your system, what it might be is hard to diagnose without more
information.

2.) The fact that the previous version works... well, that makes me wonder about graphics drivers. But, I've got a laptop with a Radeon 200M Express chipset, which is what you have IIRC, and 8.04 worked/installed fine on that so that leaves me again, somewhat puzzled.

3.) I actually suggest you try the WUBI install option of 8.04 on your Windows installation. It will allow you to try out Ubuntu 8.04 without having to repartition. Insert the Ubuntu 8.04 CD into your CD drive while inside Windows, and install from there. It will allocate space for Ubuntu's disks in files on your Windows filesystem and avoid you having to repartition. You can then try it and get rid of it again by uninstalling from Windows.

4.) Alternatively, install from the 7.10 CD, and then perform an upgrade. The fact that 7.10 works, does suggest some driver issue, and while it's hardly optimal to install 7.10 and then do an online upgrade, it may be *a* way to go.

Hope that helps.

Yes it must be hard trying not to be rude actucally having to read my post, just thank your lucky stars you had not spent over 4 hours to do something which should have taken a few minutes, I think you would have gotten quite angry by then don't you?

As far as I can see there is something botched about the setup.
There is clealy nothing wrong with my machine regarding compatibility or drivers etc.

I find it hard to believe it would work for anyone on any PC who followed
the same method, of running from CD.

Note that option is not on the 7.10 version. (the menus are different).
Anyway as I have posted earlier the problem has happened before
and no solution appeared to be arrived at there.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=602239

Incidently that is the same version I used 7.10 which worked for me.
I do note he has the same graphics as me though a bog stand onboard
ATI grapics.

Dutch70
June 28th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I'm sorry but you're not answering my question about whether or not you like football, why is that ball shaped funny?

joshedmonds
June 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I'm not sure what you hope to achieve here esbo. Linux is ready for the desktop, I just don't think you're ready for Linux.

Maybe you should go away a read about the Linux community, some of the well documented issues that a MS monopoly has has on hardware compatibility, and the attributes of community members (e.g. desire to learn, ability to listen)

You obviously have a functioning XP, so boot it up, run a defrag, install an antivirus and relax safe in the knowledge that you're learning about the same amount as you would staying here and giving everyone attitude.

Dutch70
June 28th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Thanks joshedmonds, that was a little closer to the response I was looking for...lol and now I have thanked 60 people, working on 600.

but anyway, bout that odd shaped football, it doesn't bounce the way I want it to, can you make it square?, and still throw a spiral?

Did I mention that I like football?

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I'm not sure what you hope to achieve here esbo. Linux is ready for the desktop, I just don't think you're ready for Linux.

Maybe you should go away a read about the Linux community, some of the well documented issues that a MS monopoly has has on hardware compatibility, and the attributes of community members (e.g. desire to learn, ability to listen)

You obviously have a functioning XP, so boot it up, run a defrag, install an antivirus and relax safe in the knowledge that you're learning about the same amount as you would staying here and giving everyone attitude.

I was trying to run Ubuntu, I thoughy I made that clear in several posts, reread them if you are unsure as to my intentions.

The supposed desire to learn and ability to listen was not that transparent
in some of the replies I got. maybe I did not grovel enough, however I don't grovel.

The assumption thay I am some kind of arrogant idiot who knows nothing
and just came here to annoy people if far from the truth.
I have worked in the computer industry for well over ten years, mainly on Unix systems as a programmer.

I have probably solved more computer problems than most of you.

My programs worked on all Unix systems incidently.

Dutch70
June 28th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Now that has nothing to do with football at all. I asked a direct question, can you answer it or not?
omg thats 2 questions now!

Dutch70
June 28th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I was trying to run Ubuntu, I thoughy I made that clear in several posts, reread them if you are unsure as to my intentions.

The supposed desire to learn and ability to listen was not that transparent
in some of the replies I got. maybe I did not grovel enough, however I don't grovel.

The assumption thay I am some kind of arrogant idiot who knows nothing
and just came here to annoy people if far from the truth.
I have worked in the computer industry for well over ten years, mainly on Unix systems as a programmer.

I have probably solved more computer problems than most of you.

My programs worked on all Unix systems incidently.

I am sure you have solved more computer problems than I. 3 weeks ago I couldn't tell you the difference between linux, ubuntu, and opera. but you are the most clueless person I have came across in my entire life. Why dont you just act like somebody and admit that you are just here to trash the boards. So many people have went well out of their way to to help you. and why? out of the kindness of their heart. thats why! No need to find out if ubuntu is for you, I can promise you...it is NOT, and if I am wrong about that, then maybe its not for me, *** cant an admin or something close this thread, or block his ip address or something. enough is enough!

"***" that was just a hard "phew" btw!

jakupl
June 28th, 2008, 02:47 AM

hmmmmmmm....?

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 04:35 AM
hmmmmmmm....?

As I said I worked as a programmer.
Programmers don't those sort of tasks, unless its a very small outfit and you have to do them yourself.
Also I don't know what the specific installation will do and given experience so
far I don't even trust it to do what it says.

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I am sure you have solved more computer problems than I. 3 weeks ago I couldn't tell you the difference between linux, ubuntu, and opera. but you are the most clueless person I have came across in my entire life. Why dont you just act like somebody and admit that you are just here to trash the boards. So many people have went well out of their way to to help you. and why? out of the kindness of their heart. thats why! No need to find out if ubuntu is for you, I can promise you...it is NOT, and if I am wrong about that, then maybe its not for me, *** cant an admin or something close this thread, or block his ip address or something. enough is enough!

"***" that was just a hard "phew" btw!

Thanks but I am not really here to entertain trolls.

jakupl
June 28th, 2008, 04:46 AM
As I said I worked as a programmer.
Programmers don't those sort of tasks, unless its a very small outfit and you have to do them yourself.
Also I don't know what the specific installation will do and given experience so
far I don't even trust it to do what it says.

Good for you.

If you have solved your problems, please mark this thread as solved, if not, please state your current status and we will try to make sense of it.

ripin1
June 28th, 2008, 04:47 AM
duh, the link said 8.04. and sorry if im wrong (witch i probably am) i think the live cd is the only one that you can do the cd error checking. but dont mind me, as my computer wont turn on.

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Good for you.

If you have solved your problems, please mark this thread as solved, if not, please state your current status and we will try to make sense of it.

Well I have solved my problem in that I installed a previous version which did
not present the problem, however as far as I am concerned there is still
a problem with that installation in running Ubuntu from the CD at least on my
machine anyway, which is a pretty standard AMD machine which has ran every other application, and that is hundreds without a problem.
Indeed as the other version seems be OK, that seems to put my machine in the clear.

However the menus on each version different ( 1st option), at least in wording anyway. The failure of the first option on 8.04 gave me little
confidence to try anything more 'adventurous'.

jakupl
June 28th, 2008, 05:21 AM
fine.

boot up windows and defrag a few times.

look at this youtube video: How-To: Installing Ubuntu 7.10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njv1A-bjnzw),

However, when the video reaches the partition editor, he choses the second option "install on entire hard disc", you should chose the first one "resize and use freed space". (I think that's about what it says).

If you do that, it will not kill your computer. It will shrink the windows partition, and make a new one for ubuntu, then it will install ubuntu on the new partition.

Thus it will not erase or destroy windows.
Go ahead and try it.
If you don't like it, you can always delete ubuntu and restore the grub.

If you don't want to, then just use windows and you should be happy.
Ubuntu is not for everyone.

chewearn
June 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM
However the menus on each version different ( 1st option), at least in wording anyway. The failure of the first option on 8.04 gave me little
confidence to try anything more 'adventurous'.

Yes, the menu options are changed from version 7.10 to 8.04 (I did a comparison when 8.04 was released in April).

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 05:46 AM
fine.

boot up windows and defrag a few times.

look at this youtube video: How-To: Installing Ubuntu 7.10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njv1A-bjnzw),

However, when the video reaches the partition editor, he choses the second option "install on entire hard disc", you should chose the first one "resize and use freed space". (I think that's about what it says).

If you do that, it will not kill your computer. It will shrink the windows partition, and make a new one for ubuntu, then it will install ubuntu on the new partition.

Thus it will not erase or destroy windows.
Go ahead and try it.
If you don't like it, you can always delete ubuntu and restore the grub.

If you don't want to, then just use windows and you should be happy.
Ubuntu is not for everyone.

Fine, actually I have it installed via Wubu? at the moment although I yet to
reboot and try it.

The main problem I have at the moment is lack of confidence, people say something works however it did not for me. If something were to wrong
I would be in big trouble. Ideally would like to try it on my second drive first,
preferably with the one containing XP removed from the machine, just to be on the safe side :lolflag:
I am not sure I even have a backup disk at this moment in time.
So I will take it a step at a time.

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Yes, the menu options are changed from version 7.10 to 8.04 (I did a comparison when 8.04 was released in April).

I think 8.04? says run from CD and the other (7.10) says 'install and run'.

Not sure it they are supposed to do the same thing or not, but I never
got a login screen (which I could not get past) with 7.10.

Incidently it is the 8.04, the one which I had the probs with, which Wubu installed so it will be interesting to see how I get on.

Will let you know how I get on when I finish the poker game I am in.

jakupl
June 28th, 2008, 06:00 AM
well, if you already installed it, you might as well reboot and check it out. There is nothing to be afraid of.

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 06:09 AM
well, if you already installed it, you might as well reboot and check it out. There is nothing to be afraid of.

Yea prob is I am in a poker tournement 3rd out of 35, 8 players left, top 5
get paid, running out of luck though, I was first at one point!!
I could be out in a few minutes or it might drag on a bit if I do well.

jakupl
June 28th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Yea prob is I am in a poker tournement 3rd out of 35, 8 players left, top 5
get paid, running out of luck though, I was first at one point!!
I could be out in a few minutes or it might drag on a bit if I do well.

hehehe good stuff. good luck.

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 06:32 AM
hehehe good stuff. good luck.

Thanks, first again but we are all very close, 5 left now so I am guaranteed
2.80 but I already have got 4.37 for the 'heads' I took (players I knocked out).

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 06:50 AM
3 left and 3rd.
Should over soon, me and the two aggresive player left

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM
2nd now only have 6000 chips v 45000 thouogh so over soon.

Yep over now he fluked a straight V my 999.

Gonna reboot now.

If you don't hear from me soon it screwed my system.

Won 10.50 net in total - not bad :O)

Went on much too long though.

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Well after a very long installation process that was a complete and utter
failure, a lot of error messages and then a reboot so I went back into
windows - thank God it was still working.

Not sure what went wrong apart from my previous suspicions about the installation,
however it is possible the installer Wubu picked up the the
intel image which was on my machine however I am not sure what it did.

If there a log?

Sticking with windows for the time being, I just need to uninstall it and
'access the damage', athough windows seems to be working fine now.

iaculallad
June 28th, 2008, 08:17 AM
If there a log?

Try to look at this folder:

/var/log/installer

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Try to look at this folder:

I used Wubi, so i don't think I have a /var

iaculallad
June 28th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I used Wubi, so i don't think I have a /var

I see. In windoze (with "verbose mode" selected on installation):

C:\ubuntu\installation-logs.zip

When in Ubuntu:

/var/log/syslog
/var/log/installer

ByteJuggler
June 28th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Well after a very long installation process that was a complete and utter
failure, a lot of error messages and then a reboot so I went back into
windows - thank God it was still working.

Not sure what went wrong apart from my previous suspicions about the installation,
however it is possible the installer Wubu picked up the the
intel image which was on my machine however I am not sure what it did.

If there a log?

Sticking with windows for the time being, I just need to uninstall it and
'access the damage', athough windows seems to be working fine now.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. BTW, two of my machines are AMD based. 8.04 works fine on them. I'm sorry you seem to be one of the rare cases of problems with the current 8.04 release. (I guess given that there's little ultimate difference between installing via WUBI and the normal "CD method" and that you had problems on the latter, it's not entirely surprising that you had problems on the former either.) I would try to report the problem on Launchpad as I previously suggested. (Suffice it to say on a "normal installation" you should not have any error messages at all. Normally situations like these point to potential hw issues but your Windows seems fine and 7.10 works, so I guess the best diagnosis given what we know is some odd driver issue.) Oh yes, one other thing, the Intel image works perfectly well on the AMD's. (AMD = 64bit, Intel = 32bit, in respect of images.)

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work for you. BTW, two of my machines are AMD based. 8.04 works fine on them. I'm sorry you seem to be one of the rare cases of problems with the current 8.04 release. (I guess given that there's little ultimate difference between installing via WUBI and the normal "CD method" and that you had problems on the latter, it's not entirely surprising that you had problems on the former either.) I would try to report the problem on Launchpad as I previously suggested. (Suffice it to say on a "normal installation" you should not have any error messages at all. Normally situations like these point to potential hw issues but your Windows seems fine and 7.10 works, so I guess the best diagnosis given what we know is some odd driver issue.) Oh yes, one other thing, the Intel image works perfectly well on the AMD's. (AMD = 64bit, Intel = 32bit, in respect of images.)

When I tried it again (rebooting) it does pretty much exactly what it did off the CD execpt somewhat quicker, ie I cannot log on.

Note however that when selecting a different option from the CD menu
(to install it on my computer) I get the installation menu, which has a link to
a webpage. Clicking this bring up firefox and I am able to sure the web,
graphics and all.
So I have firefox running without an operating system apparently????

I will try and report it on launchpad, whaever that is.

ByteJuggler
June 29th, 2008, 10:35 PM
When I tried it again (rebooting) it does pretty much exactly what it did off the CD execpt somewhat quicker, ie I cannot log on.

... ???

But, that sounds like you managed to install it then! Do you get to a graphical logon screen, then? Or not? I'm gettin royally confused by what you're saying. One moment it sounds like you're having trouble booting, the next thing it sounds like you're at a command line login prompt, the next it sounds like you're simply misunderstanding the normal GUI login screen...) :confused:

During the installation you are asked to provide an account username and password. After you've installed you should log on with that. Have you tried that? Does it not work? Can you post screenshots of what you see? (Even one from a mobile phone or such, just to clarify what you're seeing...)

Edit: You should see something like this:
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6381/ubuntu804logonscreendw2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6381/ubuntu804logonscreendw2.708a12f883.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=174&i=ubuntu804logonscreendw2.jpg)

Note however that when selecting a different option from the CD menu
(to install it on my computer) I get the installation menu, which has a link to
a webpage. Clicking this bring up firefox and I am able to sure the web,
graphics and all.
So I have firefox running without an operating system apparently????

Like I said in a previous post, there is no difference between booting to the "try it out" desktop and the "install to my computer" option, other than the latter starting (only) the installer for you. In other words: When you pick the "install to my computer option", it boots the entire OS, and then only starts the installer, so yes, you do have the entire OS, including the browser in the background, which is why networking and everything works!!!!

I will try and report it on launchpad, whaever that is.

I've posted a link to it previously. (Do you read my posts properly or just skim over them?) Here's another link to Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu

I'm getting the feeling you've actually managed to successfully install Ubuntu and are just not understanding the logon screen... Are you expecting not to have to enter a username and password when you log in initially or what? What are you seeing when you boot your Ubuntu installation?

esbo
June 30th, 2008, 02:08 AM
ByteJuggler, I wil just give you an update as to where I am now.
I have now wupi'ed 7.03 (or similar), it is installed and seems
to be running OK.(I am using it now to talk to you)

Now going back, to your questions.
1. I don't think you give it a password when you run from the 'live CD',
however when I wupied 8.10 I was asked for a password which I gave and used
but it never worked, alltough it did not say wrong password as it did if I gave it a wrong password, it just kind of waited a while with a blank screen
and then ask for a login again ad infinitum (user ubuntu will login in x seconds etc..). Yes I did see a screen similar to the one you displayed, it usually had a "user ubuntu will login in x seconds..." accompanying it.

[quote]
"Like I said in a previous post, there is no difference between booting to the "try it out" desktop and the "install to my computer" option, other than the latter starting (only) the installer for you. In other words: When you pick the "install to my computer option", it boots the entire OS, and then only starts the installer, so yes, you do have the entire OS, including the browser in the background, which is why networking and everything works!!!!"
[end quote]

One option is to run from the live CD and the other is to inistall it so I guess I was running from the CD. However I can't get past the password screen.
However if I choose the install there is no password required and I get a install menu with a lick which will run firefox, but no real desktop as such, no tool bars. I didn ot have the confidence to install it at this point due to my prior experience.

I do understand the login screen in so much as I understand it does not
work other then go into a login loop.
I think I had to login to user the version I am using not (I have a short memory!!)

To be honest I have always though there was a problem with the login, or it
crashed immediatellly after login and 'restarted' with the login screen.

One other thing this version seems to be OK, however I installed to ny second drive and I cant seem to see my other drive (where windows is)

However I can see something called HP Pavillion (which is my computer)
I assume it is 'in there' however' it requires a passwowrd (administrators)
and I don't know it.
Apart from that it seems OK.
Even the CD drive works.
I would stay on it except I want to play some poker and I have not figured out if I can do that from here yet. (one step at a time).

Jurka
July 9th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I had the same exactly problem with 8.04. Problems seems to be in video drivers.

To login I selected Options > Sessions > Gnome(Failsafe). Then i could login to ubuntu. After that go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers. There I have enabled restricted drivers. After updating it seems like everything is working fine.
This PC had ATI graphic card an AMD CPU.

The same is in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5350248

ChameleonDave
July 9th, 2008, 01:56 PM
As I have said before I am pretty much certain there was a problem which
the image I downloaded previously

So, in other words, you came here complaining about Ubuntu, and people immediately suggested that there might be some sort of problem with the CD you were installing from (burn error, download error, problem with file on server, or suchlike). You then got more and more offensive. Now you admit that there was a problem with the CD. Are you going to say sorry?

Are you prepared to admit I am right or are you going to maintain that
somehow I did something wrong.

We've just concluded that you were very wrong.

Ironically, although a problem with the CD was a logical first thing for the helpers to suggest, and although you're now saying it was the cause, it is more likely that there is a rare conflict between Hardy Heron and your video hardware, thus causing the automatic log-on to fail, and presenting you with a log-on screen that would not normally be seen in a live-CD session. This necessitates the arduous chore of choosing "failsafe" from the menu.

The discussion has gone back and forth so much, with you being so unclear as to what exactly you were doing, and so unwilling to listen, that I'm probably not the only one who is left not knowing what on earth the current situation is.

ByteJuggler
July 9th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Hey,

Sorry for only responding now, this thread sort of dropped off my radar.

Firstly, glad you got it working. YOu should be able to upgrade to 8.04 if you want, from your current install, with relative ease. But that said, if 7.03 works fine for you then perhaps it's worthwhile to keep using it for the time being, particularly as there seems to be some (I suspect) driver problem in 8.04 with your particular combination of hardware.

Secondly, having read what you've described in your last post, it sounds to me like your XWindows session crashes/terminates when you try to log-on, and then duly restarts, which is why you end up at a logon prompt again. It fits in with everything else you've written too. Now, XWindows crashing is most often caused by problems in the video drivers being used. Not all the different drivers written for XWindows are equally complete/stable/reliable and some combinations of hardware/software has problems. Such problems can often/usually be worked around, however.

Just to re-iterate one point:

"Like I said in a previous post, there is no difference between booting to the "try it out" desktop and the "install to my computer" option, other than the latter starting (only) the installer for you. In other words: When you pick the "install to my computer option", it boots the entire OS, and then only starts the installer, so yes, you do have the entire OS, including the browser in the background, which is why networking and everything works!!!!"

One option is to run from the live CD and the other is to inistall it so I guess I was running from the CD. However I can't get past the password screen.
However if I choose the install there is no password required and I get a install menu with a lick which will run firefox, but no real desktop as such, no tool bars. I didn ot have the confidence to install it at this point due to my prior experience.

Yes that's correct, however the entire OS *is* started in the background, which is evident by Firefox starting up and accessing the internet, although as you correctly point out, the entire desktop isn't started. The fact that the installer runs, then suggests however that one of the other applications that starts up on a normal desktop is causing the Desktop to crash, hence then resulting in it restarting and you having to log in again in an infinite loop. It would be good if we could nail down the issue so as to report a bug for it. Clearly this was not a problem in the previous release as you're successfully using that. It may even be that the bug has been fixed by now in an updated package.

To be honest I have always though there was a problem with the login, or it
crashed immediatellly after login and 'restarted' with the login screen.

One other thing this version seems to be OK, however I installed to ny second drive and I cant seem to see my other drive (where windows is)

However I can see something called HP Pavillion (which is my computer)
I assume it is 'in there' however' it requires a passwowrd (administrators)
and I don't know it.
Apart from that it seems OK.
Even the CD drive works.
I would stay on it except I want to play some poker and I have not figured out if I can do that from here yet. (one step at a time).

You should be able to at least view your Windows files without too much trouble. "HP Pavillion" is probably the name of the partition (I'm assuming you're seeing this under "Places"?) You will be able to do pretty much anything you did on Windows re browsing, but you may have to install required components if they're not there already (e.g. Flash player, Java support, etc.) The forums will try to help you if you ask politely and clearly explain what issue you're having and what you've tried already.

esbo
July 11th, 2008, 06:09 PM
So, in other words, you came here complaining about Ubuntu, and people immediately suggested that there might be some sort of problem with the CD you were installing from (burn error, download error, problem with file on server, or suchlike). You then got more and more offensive. Now you admit that there was a problem with the CD. Are you going to say sorry?

No :lolflag:

Yes I did complain it did not work, but then as it did not work I think that is fair comment. It ws not the CD it was a problem with the drivers
for the graphics card or something like that. Anyway I tried another
version of Ubuntu which did work, so I am sticking with that at the moment.
I am very thankful to all those who helped me.

We've just concluded that you were very wrong.

Ironically, although a problem with the CD was a logical first thing for the helpers to suggest, and although you're now saying it was the cause, it is more likely that there is a rare conflict between Hardy Heron and your video hardware, thus causing the automatic log-on to fail, and presenting you with a log-on screen that would not normally be seen in a live-CD session. This necessitates the arduous chore of choosing "failsafe" from the menu.

The discussion has gone back and forth so much, with you being so unclear as to what exactly you were doing, and so unwilling to listen, that I'm probably not the only one who is left not knowing what on earth the current situation is.

It was fixed something ago, well I go around it with a different version,
but there is a fix on Launch pad where I raised it, although I have not
used that yet as I am on a different version which works anyway.
Also I have a different graphics installed now so I don't think it is
needed now anyway.
Maybe I didn't report it fixed in this thread, but I am sure I mentioned it
in others, sometimes it hard to find older threads.
I don't think I was unclear, no more than the login screen anyway.

esbo
July 11th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Hey,

Sorry for only responding now, this thread sort of dropped off my radar.

Firstly, glad you got it working. YOu should be able to upgrade to 8.04 if you want, from your current install, with relative ease. But that said, if 7.03 works fine for you then perhaps it's worthwhile to keep using it for the time being, particularly as there seems to be some (I suspect) driver problem in 8.04 with your particular combination of hardware.

Secondly, having read what you've described in your last post, it sounds to me like your XWindows session crashes/terminates when you try to log-on, and then duly restarts, which is why you end up at a logon prompt again. It fits in with everything else you've written too. Now, XWindows crashing is most often caused by problems in the video drivers being used. Not all the different drivers written for XWindows are equally complete/stable/reliable and some combinations of hardware/software has problems. Such problems can often/usually be worked around, however.

Just to re-iterate one point:

Yes that's correct, however the entire OS *is* started in the background, which is evident by Firefox starting up and accessing the internet, although as you correctly point out, the entire desktop isn't started. The fact that the installer runs, then suggests however that one of the other applications that starts up on a normal desktop is causing the Desktop to crash, hence then resulting in it restarting and you having to log in again in an infinite loop. It would be good if we could nail down the issue so as to report a bug for it. Clearly this was not a problem in the previous release as you're successfully using that. It may even be that the bug has been fixed by now in an updated package.

You should be able to at least view your Windows files without too much trouble. "HP Pavillion" is probably the name of the partition (I'm assuming you're seeing this under "Places"?) You will be able to do pretty much anything you did on Windows re browsing, but you may have to install required components if they're not there already (e.g. Flash player, Java support, etc.) The forums will try to help you if you ask politely and clearly explain what issue you're having and what you've tried already.

Yes I kind of lost this tread too, for some reason. I got round it by using a different version but I also reported it on launch pad and a solution
was found but I never used it as I had got a different version to work
and I did not want to go back to square one.

Yes I was a bit confused by being able to use firefox but nothing else,
that seemed a bit unusual. Yes I was a bit annoyed initially after I
had spent about 4 hours trying to install it, who wouldn't be?

cupcake4170
November 27th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all the useful information

jondecker76
January 3rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
I have had this problem on a couple of computers as well while trying to run a known good 0810 CD.. It boots from the cd until is asks for a password for user ubuntu - so there is a bug

ByteJuggler
January 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
I have had this problem on a couple of computers as well while trying to run a known good 0810 CD.. It boots from the cd until is asks for a password for user ubuntu - so there is a bug

Can you report the exact hardware spec's of the PC's its failing on? If need be I can give you commands you can run from a text-mode console to help find out the information needed.