View Full Version : [all variants] Wireless Internet Problems

June 27th, 2008, 06:51 AM
So here's my story about my old computer that I wanted to put to good use. It's kinda a long story, but it will explain a lot. I am currently having wirelesss internet issues with my latest setup, so please stick around and maybe we can get fix it!

I found some very old parts laying around my house and I started putting them together. I am extremely happy with the results. It has about 630MHz P3, 384MB DDR PC100, A Powerful GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR, 3 GB Hard Drive, and NetGear WG311v3 Wireless Adapter.

My first goal was installing Ubuntu Gnome on it. That installed and worked prefect (Cable Internet).
Then my next goal was to get everything installed on it. Java, flash, instant meessagers, internet, etc. That worked fine with some tweaks for performance issues.
My third and final goal is setting up wireless internet within Linux.

I went researching PCI wireless adapters, but the one I found didn't work out of the box even though I thought it did at the time. So, in my free time, I have been using tutorials and guilds for setting up wireless internet for the past two months now. I have tried tutorials for Ubuntu, Fedora, and OpenSUSE. I am starting to lose hope. Sadly enough, I am actually under special lite-weight version of XP with working wireless internet, but I still have 1.5 Gigs left over for a linux partition. I haven't given up yet.

I ask you, what should I do? Has anyone gotten a WG311v3 card working within Linux? Please let me know what I have to do?

Thank you so much for you time,

June 27th, 2008, 07:06 PM