PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i need an exceptional music player

PatrickMoore
June 27th, 2008, 05:20 AM
amarok was ok. im using exaile but im not really digging it. i like songbird but its pretty unstable any suggestions

Hmarroqu
June 27th, 2008, 05:21 AM
amarok was ok. im using exaile but im not really digging it. i like songbird but its pretty unstable any suggestions

Try BANSHEE!!!!!!!

PatrickMoore
June 27th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Try BANSHEE!!!!!!!

i did i remember that i didnt like running it. im really not trying to be difficult there is almost too much variety

perlluver
June 27th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Rhythmbox, audacious.

Xiong Chiamiov
June 27th, 2008, 05:37 AM
"Exceptional" is rather subjective. Telling us what features you want and what you liked/disliked in the other players would be helpful.

Other than those mentioned, you can try Quod Libet.

PatrickMoore
June 27th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Rhythmbox, audacious.

im going to go with amarok again since i can configure it into my conky

rburkartjo
June 27th, 2008, 05:50 AM
pat, i also would suggest banshee/cheesemaker

TWO
June 27th, 2008, 05:55 AM

I found that Amarok works better under it's native Kubuntu and any other KDE-based distro for that matter. I thought it was a brilliant program!

I wasn't fond of Exaile myself really, and I have used Banshee in the past too but I don't think they compared to Amarok personally. I am using Songbird as well right now (0.6.1 as of recently) and with each update it's getting much more stable but it does have a little way to go yet, but not that far I don't think- I'm no expert though.

I'd give Rhythmbox a shot. It does the job, but does lack a graphical equalizer at the moment.

I really would recommend Amarok again because I think feature-wise, it is the best music player out there for Linux. Bands' Wikipedia pages, lyrics display and iPod support are pretty tempting features. Plus it has an equalizer so that is a plus as well. Saying that, it obviously depends on what you're after and what you like. I like flashy programs for music, so I loved Amarok and I will love Songbird when it is fully completed.

Some people like a program called XMMS because of its simplicity. There is a lot of choice like has been said. Play around with a few programs to see what you like.

TWO

chronographer
June 27th, 2008, 06:03 AM
+1 Banshee, or for simplicity and coolness, you can try their 1.0 release which is in PPA. For awesomeness and configurability (like web UI and streaming radio etc.) use mpd and sonata. "apt-get install mpd sonata" "sudo ln -s /path/to/music /var/lib/mpd/music/" "sudo mpd --create-db" then alt-F2 sonata !!

Zopiac
June 27th, 2008, 06:05 AM
i use rhythmbox, and am loving it. there are a few things i personally dont like, but those things are VERY minor, plus everything else i have tried have had many more problems.

jordanmthomas
June 27th, 2008, 06:23 AM
+1 Banshee, or for simplicity and coolness, you can try their 1.0 release which is in PPA. For awesomeness and configurability (like web UI and streaming radio etc.) use mpd and sonata. "apt-get install mpd sonata" "sudo ln -s /path/to/music /var/lib/mpd/music/" "sudo mpd --create-db" then alt-F2 sonata !!

+1
This thread needs some more mpd lovin'.

kpkeerthi
June 27th, 2008, 06:31 AM
+1 for Banshee 1.0