PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] making a boot cd

putnam120
June 27th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I am having trouble creating a boot cd for ubunto 8.04
I download the file on the ubuntu download page and then unzip the .rar file. I then burn the entire folder to a cd and then restart my computer. however, my computer refuses to even acknowledge that there is a cd in the cd drive and just boots from the hard drive into Vista.
Am I doing something wrong? I ask since I made a boot cd for ubuntu 7.10 for my old computer and everything worked perfectly fine.

UbuntuNerd
June 27th, 2008, 04:43 AM
did you burned it as an iso image

Dylock
June 27th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Also you need to make sure you are booting from your CDROM before your harddrive. You can do this in your BIOS.

YaroMan86
June 27th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I am having trouble creating a boot cd for ubunto 8.04
I download the file on the ubuntu download page and then unzip the .rar file. I then burn the entire folder to a cd and then restart my computer. however, my computer refuses to even acknowledge that there is a cd in the cd drive and just boots from the hard drive into Vista.
Am I doing something wrong? I ask since I made a boot cd for ubuntu 7.10 for my old computer and everything worked perfectly fine.

Whoa whoa whoa! You extracted the ISO?

This is why I don't like WinRAR. ISOs should never be treated as archives. Try loading the ISO into a CD burning program and try again.

UbuntuNerd
June 27th, 2008, 12:27 PM
download magic iso and use the evaluation version to burn the image it should work good i used it.

manishtech
June 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM
If you are on windows you can use Nero for burning it. Just find "Burn Image to Disk" option, select this ISO and start burning.
Then make sure that CD-ROM is above HDD in BIOS boot order

Useful software in Linux to burn CD's
* Brasero
* GNOME CD/DVD Burner (bundled by default in ubuntu)
* K3B (best till so far,even kicks *** of Nero :D )