PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing drivers, video driver in particular. . . direct x?

cinohpa
June 27th, 2008, 02:58 AM
So, completely new to ubuntu. I've done a lot of running around in the synaptic package manager and I dl'd the nvidia driver, but my machine never asked me to restart and I'm still having problems with things I thought installing the video driver would fix.

I've been trying to run some old games in wine that the wine website says work (warcraft III in particular) and have been getting crazy errors. I think it might have something to do with my video driver or maybe direct x. Do I need a substitute for direct x?

Any other driver related things I need to find for my machine to make things run properly? I don't know anything about what I need to find for my machine versus what ubuntu can compensate for.

Thanks.

eapache
June 27th, 2008, 03:03 AM
What is your graphics card? Is it fast enough to run WoW?

Go to System->Administration->Hardware Drivers and make sure that everything says 'in use'. If it isn't, enable it then restart.

Ubuntu does OpenGL instead of DirectX, but wine is supposed to provide compatibility.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

cinohpa
June 27th, 2008, 03:28 AM
yes my grahpics card is fast enough for wow. (8600m GT) I'm running a laptop though which could complicate things.

I checked out the file path that you mentioned I didn't see anything about the drivers though. The closest tab I found under system>administration was hardware testing. It seems I failed the tests that I probably needed to prove my video/audio drivers were working, but only sent a report about it and didn't really seem to offer me any options.

I thought I enabled drivers through the synaptic package manager, not that that's really seemed to work so far either though.

Thanks for the advice.

RomeReactor
June 27th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Hi. Which version of Ubuntu do you have? If it's Hardy (8.04), and you can't see the Hardware Drivers entry in the Administration menu, open a terminal and paste:

gksudo jockey-gtk
This will bring up the application eapache mentioned.

While you're at the terminal, run this to see if your card has hardware acceleration enabled:

glxinfo | grep rendering
It should return 'Yes'.

What errors are you getting trying to run the game?

cinohpa
June 27th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Yea it's hardy. It seems hardware acceleration isn't on as this is what the glxinfo command returned:

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual

Thanks for the other tip. Do I need to restart before I can see the mentioned menu option? I still don't see it after doing the first command and putting in the password and etc.

As far as the game errors go, I'll probably just keep researching it if it's still a problem after figuring out this driver stuff. I'd need to try to reinstall the games to get the errors again.

RomeReactor
June 27th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Do I need to restart before I can see the mentioned menu option? I still don't see it after doing the first command and putting in the password and etc.
That application should be installed by default on your system. Try this other application: look in 'Applications->Other->Screens and Graphics'. If you don't see it, you can edit the menus (right-click on the menu in the top panel and select "Edit menus"). Or, to open it from the terminal:

gksudo displayconfig-gtk

Once it opens, go to the second tab (Graphics card) and look for the nVidia driver.

Also please post the output of this:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep Driver

cinohpa
June 27th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Oh man. So I went in to the screens and graphics menu and found that no driver was installed/running so I enabled the nvidia option. Now my display is 640 X 480 when it was some much better much higher res, wide screen resolution. I guess I should change this back before I jump off a bridge or give up on ubuntu.

Fortunately even with severe screen cramping I was able to find my way back to the terminal to look at what you asked about.

cinohpa@Cinohpa:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep Driver
Driver "kbd"
Driver "mouse"
Driver "synaptics"
Driver "nv"
Driver "nv"

Thanks again.Logging off for the night so I won't be able to try anything until tomorrow night.

RomeReactor
June 27th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Driver "nv"

The nv is the open source driver; it doesn't have hardware acceleration. Choose the nvidia driver in Screens and Graphics.

Xiong Chiamiov
June 27th, 2008, 06:00 AM
And in case you need it, here's a howto for NVIDIA + Hardy (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4978329#post4978329).