PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installing a different Linux OS over xubuntu.

spencer218
June 27th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Is there a certain way it has to be done ? I have xubuntu and was thinking of trying one of the other distros of Ubuntu , or even trying Linux puppy or ????? But is there a certain method that has to be followed ? thanks

bodhi.zazen
June 27th, 2008, 02:23 AM
no, just install over the top :)

Gannon8
June 27th, 2008, 02:55 AM
If you want to keep your first OS, then you will have to repartition your disk, unless it's DSL or Puppy, then you can do a frugal install.

If you want to destroy xubuntu, go ahead and install over it.

Dicinox
June 27th, 2008, 03:13 AM
You can install kubuntu or Ubuntu, just installing kubuntu-desktop or ubuntu-desktop package, but you cant install other distros, you have to format or make a new partition...

spencer218
June 27th, 2008, 04:24 PM
So if I was going to try Linux puppy , (since I only have 128 mb RAM ),..I dont know how to reformat the hard drive and prepare it for puppy. It would be nice if puppy did that for me on install. Does anybody know where I can read how to do this ?

Duck2006
June 27th, 2008, 04:29 PM
http://rhinoweb.us/

spencer218
June 27th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks,.... I really like xubuntu but Im thinking if I go smaller then my older computer will be faster. Hopefully I wont run into any big problems for trying another OS but curiosity has me wondering. I will probably be back with xubuntu since it is so easy to use.

Duck2006
June 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM
If you want to try ubuntu or kubuntu, you will have to get some more RAM as 128Mb is not enough.

Afkpuz
June 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I haven't used puppy, but it's pretty straight forward installing over another OS. If your first install used the whole disc, then find the choice (in whichever OS you're installing) to install on the whole disc. If you partitioned up your drive and have multiple OS's on it, then you just will have to tell the new OS to install on that partition. Most linux installers have a partitioner to guide you. However, if you need to prepare the parition ahead of time, you need to use gparted. Goto their website and download the live cd, then boot from it. There, you can edit, delete, and create partitions.