PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 830M Graphics prob

Pepperoni
June 24th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I'm trying to get Ubuntu installed on an older Fujitsu C Series laptop, but the video gives me issues. It's an Intel 830M chipset. The install starts OK, but then the screen gets corrupted and goes 100% white. I can hear the log on music, so it appears that it's not crashing--other than the video problem. I tried safe graphics mode--same problem. Any other ideas?

Biggy
June 24th, 2008, 08:35 PM
maybe Xubuntu is best choise for your laptop...

Pepperoni
June 25th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Xubuntu doesn't work, the alternate CD doesn't work. I've even tried Fedora and that doesn't work. Each time when the xserver tries to kick off, the screen slowly turns all white. It's frustrating because this laptop is not that bad (P III, 512 RAM) and I'd like to get it working. I suppose that this Fujitsu laptop isn't compatible.

immerohnegott
August 9th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I haven't had THAT particular issue, but the machine should be compatible (I have a Dell C400 with similar hardware). Mine works, albeit with a different set of graphical glitches. Can you ctrl+alt+F2 into a tty?

Ptero-4
August 9th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Get into the text console (ctrl-alt-f1), install 915resolution (855resolution installs this package), run it and restart X.