PDA

View Full Version : New User

csc2ya
June 24th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hi. I'm a new Ubuntu user. Had it installed on my laptop in a dual boot configuration along with Windows Vista for about 3 months, but didn't start using it until about a week ago.

I think the thing that's surprised me most in that time, is that I haven't wanted (or needed) to boot into windows at all since I started using ubuntu.

I've read through a couple of other posts on here, and found that people are correct when they say that everything that can be done in windows, can also be done in linux, just in many different ways.

I'm using gnome for my desktop at the moment, but curently have kde installing, and may also try xfce, just to see what it's like.

Not sure if this is in the right place, but feel free to move it if it isn't.

jualin
June 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Welcome to Linux my friend!!, We are glad that you are part of this. If one day you want to try out any other desktop environment you only have to install it through Synaptic Package Manager. For instance to try out XFCE the package is "Xubuntu-desktop" for KDE "kubuntu-kde4-desktop". And every time you log in you have the option of choosing what Desktop Environment to run by clicking on "Sessions". Again welcome to Linux and feel free to post any questions that you may have. Greetings from Miami, FL.

Midwest-Linux
June 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Welcome aboard! Greetings from the Great Midwest.

original_jamingrit
June 24th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Welcome! Hope you have fun!

b3n87
June 24th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Any questions, and we will be happy to help :)