PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] File paths / permissions really stoopid question

päikese
June 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM
OK, I plug in a usb harddrive, "bing" there it is on the desktop. No worries. But when I want to paste to it or delete from it I get the whole "you aint allowed cos you dont have permission" thing.
However a second harddrive plugs in fine and I have complete permissions.
I have tried all sorts of sudo chmod 777 stuff to give myself permissions (which I shouldn't have to do because its my ***** harddrive and I should automatically have permission to use it. I paid for the **** thing!)
But using /media/External HD as the path doesn't work.
So how do I find the correct path to a device and how can I have permission to use my HD automatically when it gets plugged in?
Please.
Please.
I did say it was a stupid question.

quinnten83
June 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM
is it an ntfs, ext3 or fat32 system.
I had a similar problem, and I installed ntfs-3g and it worked. I had some more tweaking to do with things that were in the fstab, but it cleared itself out and is now working.

päikese
June 24th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I dont know, i right clickedproperties and it was about as helpful as a rubber spanner. How can I find out? It would be so easy with xp but its too late for that now....

hyper_ch
June 24th, 2008, 03:06 PM
sudo fdisk -l

päikese
June 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Ok that worked, I now know it is /dev/sdb1 and that it is ntfs. But sudo chmod 777 /dev/sdb1 still hasn't given me the ability to write or delete to it. What do I need to do next?

bluepowder7
June 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM
try "sudo chown -R paikese: /dev/sdb1"

Stefanie
June 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
sudo chown -R username:username /media/disk
sudo chmod -R 755 /media/disk

this worked for me. if your external hdd is not mounted to /media/disk but to another location you should change that of course. you can see the location in your address bar in the file browser.