PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Motorola sm56 Data/Fax

dinomite89
June 24th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Hi,

Ive just isntalled ubuntu 8.04 on my pc, i am trying to connect to the internet without anyluck, i tihnk it is becuase my modem (motorola sm56 data/fax) is a "winmodem". ive tried Linmodems.org but the site makes no scense to me, have alreadys scanned the modem with there scanner but do not know what to do next?????

y4h0ooo0
June 27th, 2008, 09:42 AM
i have Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem . please help us how to install this.

tanx

medya
July 10th, 2008, 01:00 PM
me 2 I need to make it work

sTpny
July 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Oh great! The only modem I have that fits into my computer and it doesn't work. I've got no solutions.. just adding myself to the problem so I can find it again if I should happen find a solution... or should I even bother looking...

DerTiger1985
August 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
i'd be happy if someone could update this tutorial so it works with hardy:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2756636&postcount=1

everything till

"Load the modules" works fine, but when i try to load the modules:

susanne@susanne:~/Drivers/ungrab-winmodem-20080126$ sudo modprobe slamr
FATAL: Module slamr not found.

:confused:

ecuajosh
October 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM
so far as i been looking around for the same solution,for my sm56 motorola modem on my hp dv9700 laptop,there is no support from part of motorola with drivers.there used to be link bu they are all dead now.i have tryed linmodems as well but nothing.
so i recomend you guy to do the same thing i'm doing.
do not use usb modem, these are really har to make them work. i have spent many hour looking for the right usb modem for ubuntu without any answers. so this is the solution most of the modem that work perfectly on linux are serial modem.i know the new laptops dont have serial ports,so your are gonna have to find a serial to usb cable. look for it on ebay is really cheap, no more than 6 bucks.they all work don't buy the more expensive. and start lookinf for a serial modem. i read the zoom modem are workfull on linux i suggest the 0269.
i hope that works for you guys.
i'm still waiting for my cable to arrive.

Mickeyj4j
October 29th, 2008, 10:20 PM
:confused: Why Is there not a driver for ubuntu or any linux version for that matter for this modem. :confused: :mad: its all i can use as i cant get broadband where i live. :mad: :mad: and i am having to keep using XP which I would like to get out of. :mad:

i know that dial-up modems are getting old and a thing of the past but i canot get rid of mine yet so what can i do.

lkraemer
August 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM
SM56 - Try this guide:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1100310
Post #4.

Good Luck!

lkraemer

LOIREE
May 8th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Have same modem - it works as modem, but not receiving fax. It waits for connect, receives connection, but when remote fax machine awaits for reply (+FTH=3), it just delays. Then, it says it received fax, but 0 bytes transfered and I get empty TIFF file (not exactly empty, but filled with around 253 bytes of unrelated data.