PDA

View Full Version : Email client & Gmail questions

philliptweedie
June 24th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Morning all,

I exclusively use gmail for all my mail now. I was thinking about maybe using an email client instead of logging onto google.com all the time.

However, is there any benefit at all in me doing this?

I also had a couple of questions. I last tried this a few years ago and was pretty miffed that no email programs minimised to the tray without another program to help. Is this still the case?

Also how does spam filtering work if I did this. For example if something arrives in my inbox thats spam and i move it across to the spam folder (I would use IMAP) would google then recognise this message as spam in future?

Cheers for any help.

gameryoshi600
June 24th, 2008, 02:21 AM
use google desktop and enable gmail searching. it will search your gmail its way more efficient :D

LookTJ
June 24th, 2008, 02:32 AM
One thing you can use in an email client that you can't do with Google's web client is GPG/PGP:).

philliptweedie
June 24th, 2008, 02:39 AM
One thing you can use in an email client that you can't do with Google's web client is GPG/PGP:).

It's not really a massive deal for me as no one I would regularly email uses it either. Bad I know but thats how it is. Also back in my days of tinkering with pgp I came across FireGPG which let you use gpg in the web client.

use google desktop and enable gmail searching. it will search your gmail its way more efficient :D

Would that notify me of new emails?

ickyfeet
June 24th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I like using a pop client so that I can delete email at will but then log onto my gmail account to retrieve any email that I might have mistakenly deleted. It has saved my rear on several occasions to keep a backup copy of my email on google's server.

smartboyathome
June 24th, 2008, 03:18 AM
For some reason whenever I try to use an email client it deletes everything off my account and houses it locally. I use Prism now for gmail.

Mateo
June 24th, 2008, 03:23 AM
The obvious disadvantage to webmail is that it doesn't tell you when you have new mail, you have to manually check. Sure, there are checking apps, which is better, but you still have to log on to the website. It's a lot easier to have an "always open" mail client.

Evolution is still the best way to go. It doesn't do minimize to tray and never will (the developers have some holy crusade against the "notification area" being used as a "tray" which according to them, it is not). But it doesn't matter. Stick it in your 4th workspace and forget about it. That's what I do. Combined with the mail-notification tool and you got a really good set up.

smartboyathome
June 24th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Actually, Check GMail from the repositories and Prism work pretty well. I can leave prism "always open" with Alltray, and then use Check GMail to tell me when I get new mail.

Mateo
June 24th, 2008, 03:27 AM
For some reason whenever I try to use an email client it deletes everything off my account and houses it locally. I use Prism now for gmail.

That's because you're setting it up for pop3, which works that way. IMAP leaves stuff on the server.

FuturePilot
June 24th, 2008, 03:52 AM
You can use Kdocker to put a program into the notification area. I use it to put Evolution into the notification area.

balaknair
June 24th, 2008, 03:56 AM
@philiptweedie: The client I liked best was Kmail on Kubuntu, which minimizes to the tray and pops up notifications when you get a new message. I also liked how you could toggle HTML on and off with Kmail and pipe incoming mail through Clamav antivirus. It's better integrated into Kubuntu, but it should work just fine on Ubuntu gnome though if you install the necessary KDE lib files. Otherwise, Tbird can do most of that with addons. I suggest you give Kmail a shot.
@smartboyathome: You can configure POP3 in Account Settings to "Leave messages on Server" or something similar. This will just download a copy of the mail to your local folder while leaving the original on the Gmail server.

Frak
June 24th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Go into Tools->Settings (or whatever, Edit->Profile/Settings/Whatever in Linux)

In there, check "Leave messages on server"

EDIT
awww, I got beat >:[

smartboyathome
June 24th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Thanks, I will try this later on a test account. :D

cardinals_fan
June 24th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I wouldn't do it. The Gmail web interface is fast and I've yet to find a client that works as well.

balaknair
June 24th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Alternatively, to keep messages on Gmail server, Log on to Gmail with your browser, in Gmail> Settings> Forwarding and POP/IMAP> under POP Download option #2 When messages are accessed with POP: you can choose Keep Gmail's copy in the inbox, Archive Gmail's copy, or Delete Gmail's copy.

balaknair
June 24th, 2008, 04:24 AM
@cardinals_fan: I agree. I prefer to use the browser to access Gmail. I just use the Gmail Notifier addon on Firefox so that I can recieve notifications(clicking on the icon in the statusbar logs you in). Since Firefox is perputually running on my box, this is all I need, but I guess different strokes for different folks.

teet
June 24th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I use thunderbird to check my gmail usually.

The real advantage of using thunderbird in my situation is that I can check all four of me email accounts at once (I really need to get rid of at least 2 of them).

There is no built in minimize-to-tray, but you can use another program to do this.

The spam filter isn't half bad. It will send all "spam" messages to a spam folder in thunderbird. You have to check it every once in a while to make sure no real messages are stuck in it. Gmail also has a built in spam filter...you need to log onto gmail.com occassionaly and check it as well.

If you only need to use gmail, I would suggest just always leaving it open as a tab in your browser.

-teet

philliptweedie
June 24th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks for all the replies everybody.

For what it's worth I am just going to leave it to Firefox for now. I may make more use of gmail notify but I doubt it, I just don't really like the way it looks for some irrational reason.

Bit sorry to hear that Evolution will probably never have a minimize to tray option, seems stupid to rule out even the possibility of an option. Especially when programs have been made to meet this demand, such as AllTray etc But its no big deal.

jrusso2
June 24th, 2008, 05:55 AM
That's because you're setting it up for pop3, which works that way. IMAP leaves stuff on the server.

I use Thunderbird there is a setting to leave the emails on the server. I use PoP.

macogw
June 24th, 2008, 06:01 AM
It's not really a massive deal for me as no one I would regularly email uses it either. Bad I know but thats how it is. Also back in my days of tinkering with pgp I came across FireGPG which let you use gpg in the web client.
And you trust that? Please note that GMail saves drafts as you type. As in, they store an unencrypted version of the email over and over...only the final draft *might* escape being saved unencrypted.

philliptweedie
June 24th, 2008, 06:28 AM
And you trust that? Please note that GMail saves drafts as you type. As in, they store an unencrypted version of the email over and over...only the final draft *might* escape being saved unencrypted.

To be honest I never even thought of that. But like I said, I have no one to send encrypted emails too, so I didn't dwell on it.

Zlatan
June 24th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Main disadvantage or webmail for me is that when I'm offline I can not prepare a draft to send it later. And Gmail does not work nice with Konqueror:)
Oh, and the calendar and that online/offline thing...

Morning all,

I exclusively use gmail for all my mail now. I was thinking about maybe using an email client instead of logging onto google.com all the time.

However, is there any benefit at all in me doing this?

I also had a couple of questions. I last tried this a few years ago and was pretty miffed that no email programs minimised to the tray without another program to help. Is this still the case?

Also how does spam filtering work if I did this. For example if something arrives in my inbox thats spam and i move it across to the spam folder (I would use IMAP) would google then recognise this message as spam in future?

Cheers for any help.

quinnten83
June 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Google calendar doesn't want to make nice with evolution.
Other than that, I would go with evolution. Advantage is that you can access your email when you are offline.