PDA

View Full Version : would you pay money to replace the windows key on your keyboard with an ubuntu key???

pondochris
June 23rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
I was looking at my keyboard today and thought....wouldn't it be cool to replace my windows start-key with a ubuntu start-key. If there were such a service/company/etc that you could buy a new key to replace your windows start-key with a ubuntu or "insert OS here" (my guess it would be about 10-15 usd per key.

would you pay $$$ to buy one???

RiceMonster
June 23rd, 2008, 11:59 PM
Not for more than $1. I suppose it would be neat to have Tux there, but I really don't care all that much.

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 11:59 PM
You can get Tux keys and some keyboards come with them.

wootah
June 24th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I think it would be pretty neat, but my particular keyboard doesn't have standard shaped keys. 10-15 usd is way, way above what I would consider fair.

Perhaps $1-$2 and you got yourself a deal. Other than that, I would rather just do it myself.

bufsabre666
June 24th, 2008, 12:04 AM
i need a new keyboard anyways, i would buy a complete new one with tux or ubuntu keys

C!oud
June 24th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I could really care less what symbol is on my keyboard

Anzan
June 24th, 2008, 12:18 AM
http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16162&cat=0&page=1

Zareason sells Ubuntu keyboards. We ordered a few and they came quite quickly.

isaacj87
June 24th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I like how the Asus eeePC (I think it's the eee) has a little house icon on that key. I think that should be the standard.

cardinals_fan
June 24th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I'd pay a quarter. No more.

ubuntu-freak
June 24th, 2008, 12:43 AM
http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16162&cat=0&page=1

Zareason sells Ubuntu keyboards. We ordered a few and they came quite quickly.

Looks neat. Does any UK-based online store sell them?

One more thing - are Dell selling Ubuntu laptops with a Window's key on them? That would bug me.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 24th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Maybe. I have several different style keyboards so I don't know how that would work. I've been thinking about making some stickers. I've seen some stickers somewhere that look like they would be small enough.

ibutho
June 24th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I'd buy one with Tux, but not one for a specific distro because I use several at any given time.

KenBW2
June 24th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I'd pay a nominal fee to have it replaced with a generic key. Who knows what distro(s) I might be using in a few years? Linux is all about freedom remember...
As has been mentioned my eeepc has a little house :)

Superkoop
June 24th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I would pay >1$ for a tux one. (not colored)

wootah
June 25th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I would pay >1$ for a tux one. (not colored)
You would pay more than a dollar for a tux one? I'll tell you what? I have a blue light special! For the next three days only! Just post your credit card and I'll mail you as many as you want ;)

_DD_
June 25th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I think I'd want a Tux key or just a more generic symbol than the Windows logo - I don't plan on leaving Ubuntu soon, but I can't say I would be loyal if there was another distro which was worth switching to.

Barrucadu
June 25th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I would spend 2 or 3 for a "Super" key instead of a "Windows Logo" key.

Le-Froid
June 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Would spend any amount of $$ for a keyboard replacing the Windows logo :p

Frak
June 25th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I got a Logitec Keyboard some time ago that had an extra Linux key that came with it.

What was Ironic was the fact that it wasn't supported under Linux :P

dashnak
June 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I MIGHT buy a penguin one, though definitely not an ubuntu one....

Kvark
June 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Nah, I don't look at the keyboard anyway.

What I would pay extra for is a keyboard with braille. Then I'd feel when I put a hand on the wrong keys instead of seeing that I typed like "omdrsf".

My computer, screen, trackball and headset are all black and silver so I've also been thinking about spraypainting the whole gray keyboard black and silver to match them and to confuse others "Wait, it's blank! Where is the D-key?".

Frak
June 25th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Nah, I don't look at the keyboard anyway.

What I would pay extra for is a keyboard with braille. Then I'd feel when I put a hand on the wrong keys instead of seeing that I typed like "omdrsf".

My computer, screen, trackball and headset are all black and silver so I've also been thinking about spraypainting the whole gray keyboard black and silver to match them and to confuse others "Wait, it's blank! Where is the D-key?".
Is omdrsf supposed to be instead?

I know you typed that to show incorrect hand placement, but I'm curious :D

Tom--d
June 25th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I chose Maybe. All depends on the price and how good the service is :)

nick09
June 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I would not, as a key showing windows or a different icon(like a icon of a home or even a key saying "boot her up!") would be fine with me.:lolflag:

LookTJ
June 26th, 2008, 12:05 AM
The windows key doesn't matter to me and is useless to me. I would save my money for something useful. Sooooo no!

smartboyathome
June 26th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Looks neat. Does any UK-based online store sell them?

One more thing - are Dell selling Ubuntu laptops with a Window's key on them? That would bug me.

They do. See here: http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/29597.jpg :(

Greyed
June 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I was looking at my keyboard today and thought....wouldn't it be cool to replace my windows start-key with a ubuntu start-key.

(snippage)

would you pay $$$ to buy one???

No. Want to know what I want? If they simply must give me more keys then give me useful keys which are not OS specific and are not in the flipping way! There is nothing more aggravating to a gamer than the Windows key. One slip and your full screen game is being swapped out for the desktop. YEAH! Sign me up. *sigh*

Furthermore what is it with this trend for mushy keys. Lousy tactile feel where you can feel, kinda, that the keys are hit but you don't really FEEL that the keys are hit.

Would I spend $$$ for a keyboard with a different graphic on a key I loathe? Nope.

Would I spend $$$ for a keyboard like the Focus FK-8000 or FK-9000? Hell yeah. I did once and would do it again! I'd stock up on them because I know they'd go out of production again. Give me good, solid, tactile feel with an audible click. Give me a metal back for a solid keyboard. If you have to give me extra buttons give me a functional calculator on the number pad and a programmable... with the keyboard, not through Windows only software... macro keys. That's what the FK-9000 was while the FK-8000 was the basic 101 keyboard with that solid feel.

Seriously. I don't want multimedia keys, I don't want funky spinners like I'm some sort of DJ on the cheap, I don't want function keys which only act like function keys after a proprietary button is pressed after every reboot. I don't want the "Windows" key or the "menu" key; there's supposed to be space between CNTL and ALT! Please, for the love of $deity, give me a quality keyboard with no fluff!

Greyed
June 26th, 2008, 12:40 AM

Too late.... ;)

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

scouser73
June 26th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I'd certainly buy a new keyboard with an Ubuntu key instead of the Windows key, what would be the point of replacing just the two keys?

Malac
June 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM
How about this,
http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Each key is a mini screen that displays the currently assigned function or key.
Bit expensive though at "approx. 1186.20 " :)

Oh yeah, it only works on Windows and Mac. :(
Or this one. 7538475385

lyceum
June 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I would pay, but it would have to be cheep. Seeing the success of Linux machines today gives me hope that there will be more FOSS hardware in the near future. That would include keyboards, even if it is just to have distro specific keys.

gn2
June 26th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'm from Scotland a country where the inhabitants are reknowned for having deep pockets and short arms.

There's no way I would pay for replacement Windows keys when if it bothered me enough I could just remove the Windows icon myself free of charge.

If I needed a new desktop keyboard at some point I definitely would consider buying one with Ubuntu Circle of Friends logo on that key instead.

My next laptop will be an Acer Aspire One netbook which also has a Home icon key.
http://www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk//images/stories/reviews/2008/06/acer-aspire-one/glam2/acer-aspire-one-05.jpg

aaaantoine
June 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Not worth it.

I didn't even take the Windows XP sticker off of my laptop, even though XP hasn't been installed on here (outside of VirtualBox) since October. It was, in fact, "Designed for Windows XP", so there's no reason for me to remove the sticker.

Also, until the hardware of this laptop is 100% supported out of the box (unlikely, unless someone figures out the whole Broadcom firmware issue), it doesn't deserve any sort of Ubuntu marking.

Zeotronic
June 26th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I want an Ubuntu key... I wouldn't want a Tux key though... I like his ideals, but hes an ugly little penguin. I'd pay any amount less than the cost of a keyboard... if I have to pay the cost of a whole keyboard, I'll just get a new keyboard... and with n-key rollover!

Regardless... I wouldn't do it now anyways... I'm saving up for something.

ubuntu-freak
June 26th, 2008, 08:51 PM
They do. See here: http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/29597.jpg :(

That's a shame. I'd rather Dell use a Tux logo, or the open source one instead for Ubuntu laptops.

Fingers & Thumbs
June 26th, 2008, 09:00 PM
My friend and I were talking about this just the other day, he bought some sticky badges from the internet to replace the windows badge, and said it would be a good idea if there was a replacement key available to get rid of the windows one. Not a bad idea at all. Myself, I just covered it over with a generic sticker which I cut to size, for no more reason than to act as another conversation starter with other potential future converts to open source.

arsenic23
June 26th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I couldn't care less. After about a year all my keys are blank from wear and tear.

imronak
June 26th, 2008, 09:20 PM
i dont care about that key.

Zeotronic
June 26th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I couldn't care less. After about a year all my keys are blank from wear and tear.
Either you are using keyboards with the characters (and symbols) rather poorly put onto the keys, or you are an insane typist! I've been using my keyboard for years and all of the characters are still perfectly legible! (with the Windows key being a case of 'much to my dismay') Anyways, that's just nuts.

arsenic23
June 26th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Either you are using keyboards with the characters (and symbols) rather poorly put onto the keys, or you are an insane typist! I've been using my keyboard for years and all of the characters are still perfectly legible! (with the Windows key being a case of 'much to my dismay') Anyways, that's just nuts.

I still have an old AT keyboard that I use ( because I like the feel of those hard clacky keys ) and the keys are grooved and noticably shorter. I have dry sandpapper hands and they eat keyboards. Also I type alot.

All of my used keyboards are a couple hundred miles away right now, though, or I'd take a picture and post it. The keyboard I have in front of me is only a few weeks old.

KingTermite
June 27th, 2008, 12:03 AM
You can get Tux keys and some keyboards come with them.

I'd actually prefer that.

A Tux key supports Linux in general. Nothing personal, but I'd rather support the concept of Linux in general that "just" Ubuntu.