PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] FTP (to XBOX) problems from a network beginner

tabithaboof
June 23rd, 2008, 07:15 AM
I have a modded XBOX which I want to use as a media center and I have a few questions.

1 - I am using Filezilla which I have used for a long time to FTP to my website with no problem but I have lots of errors while trying to FTP files to the XBOX. First is when trying to transfer a file from my USB HD

Status: Starting upload of /media/disk/video/Documentaries/Tesla - Master of Lightning PBS-VHS Great Quality(DivX).avi
Command: PORT 192,168,3,2,206,156
Response: 200 Port command ok.
Command: LIST
Response: 150 Opening ASCII data connection for ls /F/Movies/.
Response: 226 free disk space under this directory : 42.466.017.280
Command: PORT 192,168,3,2,195,134
Command: STOR Tesla - Master of Lightning PBS-VHS Great Quality(DivX).avi
Response: 426 Connection closed , file opening failed.
Status: Starting upload of /media/disk/video/Documentaries/Tesla - Master of Lightning PBS-VHS Great Quality(DivX).avi
Command: PORT 192,168,3,2,155,210
Command: PORT 192,168,3,2,173,50
Command: PORT 192,168,3,2,152,12
Command: PORT 192,168,3,2,180,107

The same file will transfer just fine if I move it to me PC from the USB drive and THEN FTP it. I am not sure why.

Second problem is, there are a couple of files on the XBOX HD which I cant delete. I get this reponse

Command: DELE Matt Foley - Halloween.mpeg
Response: 553 Requested action not taken.

And lastly, whenever I try to transfer a directory with a number of files in it. The transfer sometimes works for a few seconds then crashes with an error which I THINK is

421- too many users

Any help much appreciated

nixscripter
June 26th, 2008, 08:53 PM
1. General suggestion: try using passive mode in FTP. This solves some percentage of connection problems.

2. According to the FTP procol spec (at least one of them), the error code means: Requested action not taken: file name not allowed. Perhaps there a special character (like dash or space?) that FTP doesn't like in the filename.

3. The second error code, 421, is rather broad. According to the spec: 421 Service not available, closing control connection. This may be a reply to any command if the service knows it must shut down. I suspect "too many users" -- assuming you haven't been leaving other processes still connected -- is just a default error message on the software's part.

Hope this helps.