PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Reset networking interfaces to default

fahadsadah
June 22nd, 2008, 08:17 AM
In the past few days I have been messing around with my /etc/network/interfaces, trying to get my VirtualBox to have a bridged connection.
I now have no internet unless I bring down my bridge and my vbox0.

How do I either reset networking to the way it was before, or delete the bridge and vbox0?

Thank you very much in advance!

dmizer
June 23rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
without a backup copy, this will be impossible. but i think we can get you working again anyway.

please post the output of:

lshw -C network

fahadsadah
June 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Of course:

fahad@fahad-linux:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for fahad:
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 5
bus info: pci@0000:02:05.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:13:8f:e4:60:0e
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 duplex=full latency=32 link=yes maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 module=8139too multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
*-network:0
physical id: 1
logical name: br0
serial: 00:13:8f:e4:60:0e
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A ip=192.168.0.4 link=yes multicast=yes
*-network:1
physical id: 2
logical name: vbox0
serial: 00:ff:a8:36:42:c4
size: 10MB/s
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: autonegotiation=off broadcast=yes driver=tun driverversion=1.6 duplex=full firmware=N/A link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=10MB/s

I ran it with sudo as it gave a warning the first time saying to run it as root.

I have fixed the networking problem, but I am still wondering if I can delete these spare interfaces. I got the VirtualBox working with NAT.

dmizer
June 25th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Of course:
I ran it with sudo as it gave a warning the first time saying to run it as root.
for this particular information, the sudo command is not necessary, but it didn't hurt anything either.

I have fixed the networking problem, but I am still wondering if I can delete these spare interfaces. I got the VirtualBox working with NAT.

the only thing i can think of is to remove them from /etc/network/interfaces:

gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
remove the extra entries, and carry on. it might help to know what you did to create them in the first place though.

fahadsadah
July 12th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Sorry I forgot this thread.

Anyway, I finally solved it: I had created the interfaces with VboxAddIF, which makes them persist.
VboxDeleteIF fixed the problem