PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] tcpdump as a rotating log file generator

nullvariable
June 22nd, 2008, 04:00 AM
I'm working with fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 and I've been trying to find a way to use tcpdump (which is already installed) to create rotating logs of say every 24hrs or so filtering out a couple of IP addresses. Basically I want to see traffic on my network from PCs other than my main systems/servers. I'd then like to grab the files and read them on a different machine with WireShark. I'm also wondering if there's an easy way to setup some sort of alert that would send me an email when a new host is spotted, this is less important to me of course. I would imagine that this could all be accomplished with some bash scripts, I just need some suggestions or pointers ( :twisted: Googling various terms with what I want to do doesn't return anything I can work with).

Thanks!!

randomperson83
September 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Did you find a good solution to do this?

nullvariable
September 10th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Did you find a good solution to do this?

nope...never did :confused:

randomperson83
September 10th, 2008, 09:18 PM
If you look at the latest version of the tcpdump man page, apparently it supports rotating logfiles (using the -G option).

http://www.tcpdump.org/tcpdump_man.html

Of course, the version there is newer than the one that Hardy provides (if you man tcpdump on Hardy, there is no -G option)... of course, I haven't used it yet, but that looks promising.

fwre01
September 10th, 2008, 09:21 PM
i know you can produce pcap files from tcpdump, that can be read into wireshark by using
sudo tcpdump -i eth0 -w /home/user/test2.pcap

you could tie it down to as few or as many hosts as you want. but remember you will have to configure monitoring on your switch, unless you are using a hub **shudder**

becasue otherwise you will only see bcast/mcast traffic

randomperson83
September 10th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Yes, but that doesn't rotate the logs automatically.

fwre01
September 10th, 2008, 09:41 PM
did u want just the last 24hrs worth of traffic? becasue that wud be relatively easy in crontab

nullvariable
September 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
yeah...you could run a bash script to do the file rotation for you I suppose (its been a long time since I've tried that myself)

randomperson83
September 10th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Or use the new tcpdump option. :)