PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help I'm stuck in 640x480

steelmole
June 21st, 2008, 05:50 PM
I installed some ati drivers and then uninstalled them. Now I am just using my onboard graphics but I can't change the resolution. Please help as most of the screen is taken up by toolbars.

avtolle
June 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
From the Terminal (Applications>>Accessories>>Terminal)
gksudo displayconfig-gtk to try to configure your monitor and graphics.

diablo75
June 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
What kind of monitor do you have (make and model).

Also, please type the following in terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

And paste a copy of that config file in here please.

steelmole
June 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM
Ok, this has got me back to normal resolution on my secondary monitor, but now nothing on my primary monitor. The options for secondary monitors are greyed out. *scratches head*

xorg.conf:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Boardname "VESA driver (generic)"
Busid "PCI:0:2:0"
Driver "vesa"
Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Vendorname "Plug 'n' Play"
Modelname "Plug 'n' Play"
modeline "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
Gamma 1.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 640 480
Modes "640x480@60"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
screen 0 "screen1" 0 0
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "GLcore"
Load "dri"
Load "v4l"
EndSection
Section "device" #
Identifier "device1"
Boardname "ATI Radeon (fglrx)"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Driver "ati"
Screen 0
Vendorname "ATI"
Option "MergedFB" "off"
EndSection
Section "screen" #
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Defaultdepth 24
Monitor "monitor1"
EndSection
Section "monitor" #
Identifier "monitor1"
Gamma 1.0
EndSection
Section "device" #
Identifier "device2"
Boardname "ATI Radeon (fglrx)"
Busid "PCI:1:0:1"
Driver "ati"
Screen 0
Vendorname "ATI"
Option "MergedFB" "off"
EndSection
Section "screen" #
Identifier "screen2"
Device "device2"
Defaultdepth 24
Monitor "monitor2"
EndSection
Section "monitor" #
Identifier "monitor2"
Gamma 1.0
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection

The main monitor is a very old generic 17 inch lcd. The secondary monitor is an acer AL1715, if that's any help to you.

avtolle
June 21st, 2008, 06:21 PM
I presume the "this has got me back..." refers to running the command I provided earlier. When you ran that command, it sounds to me like the secondary monitor was on and the primary off (if you can understand what I'm trying to say). I've a feeling at this point a manual edit of the file you posted will be in order, and I yield the floor to those more knowledgeable than I (as I don't run two monitors, I'll be less than useless in trying to help).

steelmole
June 21st, 2008, 06:25 PM
Well thankyou, but I know when I'm defeated. I'm just gonna re-boot and use windows.

diablo75
June 21st, 2008, 06:25 PM
I presume the "this has got me back..." refers to running the command I provided earlier. When you ran that command, it sounds to me like the secondary monitor was on and the primary off (if you can understand what I'm trying to say). I've a feeling at this point a manual edit of the file you posted will be in order, and I yield the floor to those more knowledgeable than I (as I don't run two monitors, I'll be less than useless in trying to help).

I second that. I only have one monitor myself, so am not certain exactly what to modify in the xorg.

However, I will note that it appears you are running on vesa drivers, instead of ati drivers. I know you said you installed some earlier, but then uninstalled them. Why did you uninstall them? What did you use to install them in the first place. Perhaps all you really need to do is reinstall them, using something like Envy instead of the Restricted Drivers Manager...

steelmole
June 21st, 2008, 07:12 PM
The vesa drivers seemed to be the only thing that would work properly with the integrated graphics. The setup is one monitor on integrated and one on the ati card, which is a bit of an odd setup and annoying to get working. I'm a bit worried that when I go back to just using one monitor on integrated that I won't be able to sort this mess out. Eurgh I hate having to reinstall everything.

I uinstalled the drivers because I wanted to get back to full resolution with integrated graphics.

diablo75
June 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
Doing something like that is never easy. Why not upgrade to a video card that supports two monitor outputs all on its own? I remember trying to do what you're doing with Windows years ago, and finding in the end that there was no real way about doing it, at least not with full support (for instance, I really doubt you'll be able to use your ATI driver on your integrated video chipset).

I'd try to find a different video card that has two separate SVGA/DVI outputs on it. Just my two cents.

steelmole
June 21st, 2008, 11:02 PM
Well, the graphics card was free. Can someone tell me how to get the right drivers for the intel integrated graphics so that I can use my main monitor at full resolution?