PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with fstab

xXxWandererxXx
June 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM
I'm bit new in Linux, and I want to have all privileges to my files on filesystem. It seams that my files are RO, and I want to do everything that I want with them so I need to change them to RW, I did some searching about this and I found that fstab is for that, but I'm not sure how that would look properly. Can anybody help me?

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda2
UUID=0fbde73f-3811-4705-9d72-70ab9db5eedf / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-rw 0 1
# /dev/sda1
UUID=f11e2f9c-f1c7-40e3-afac-02e38d177044 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Ub1476
June 21st, 2008, 01:20 PM
Hi, I think fstab just defines what voumes to mount when the system starts, so you don't have to edit that.

However, haveing RW acces to every file and directory on the system is serious security issue. It shouldn't be much of a problem to just use sudo. For instance, if you need to change some files in /etc/X11, just press Alt+F2 and write "sudo nautilus". This will open nautilus (the filebrowser) in root (administrator) mode, and grant you all access. You can also use the terminal. Like, if you want to remove a file (not reccomended though), put "sudo" in front of the command:

sudo rm /var/log/file

Again, no-one should have root acces throught an entire session.

xXxWandererxXx
June 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM
I agree, but I installed something, and now I can't remove it because I don't have privileges... I tried sudo nautilus, and it won't start nautilus, when I type in just nautilus it starts normal

Ub1476
June 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
Try to type "sudo nautilus" from the terminal.

Also what did you install and how did you do it?

the_doc
June 21st, 2008, 01:31 PM
Better to use..

gksudo nautilus

..for gui apps.

xXxWandererxXx
June 21st, 2008, 01:31 PM
Hamachi.... I used some instructions... And it worked fine, but I did something wrong in joining session of hamachi and it blocked, and afterwards it was always on. So Im tring to delete it manual

xXxWandererxXx
June 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Finaly, that's what I wanted.. Thx

bodhi.zazen
June 21st, 2008, 01:43 PM
See also :

RootSudo

and

community/FilePermissions

WitchCraft
June 21st, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'm bit new in Linux, and I want to have all privileges to my files on filesystem. It seams that my files are RO, and I want to do everything that I want with them so I need to change them to RW, I did some searching about this and I found that fstab is for that, but I'm not sure how that would look properly. Can anybody help me?

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda2
UUID=0fbde73f-3811-4705-9d72-70ab9db5eedf / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-rw 0 1
# /dev/sda1
UUID=f11e2f9c-f1c7-40e3-afac-02e38d177044 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

login as root

to enable the root account: sudo passwd

bodhi.zazen
June 21st, 2008, 02:35 PM
login as root

to enable the root account: sudo passwd

Setting a root password and logging is a root is not the best of advice to give to new users and it is best to teach them how to use sudo and permissions. If you want to post how to enable the root account you should include advice re re-locking root at a later time as well as appropriate cautions.

If you are an experienced user you are of course free to run your box the way you like, but on the Ubuntu forums we have a fair number of new users and it is a disservice to them to give this kind of advice.

New forum policy on log-in-as-root tutorials - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=716201)

If you log in as root there are security implications and *hopefully* protection of system files form inadvertent whimsical changes -> breakage.

You should learn to use sudo and gksu (kedsu on KDE) + permissions.

To lock the root account (if you set a password)

sudo passwd root -l