PDA

View Full Version : What computers do you use throughout the day?

BWF89
December 16th, 2004, 10:08 PM
I never realised until sometime last week that I used so many computers in one day. 5 different PC's and up to 6 operating syetems!

Here they are:

-Gray iMac: For the school math lab
Mac OS 9.not sure

-Blue iMac: At the school library to look at GNU/Linux websites
Mac OS 9.2

-Gateway E Series: For my Visual Basic.NET class
Windows XP Professional

-Power PC, Power Macintosh 5500/225: For my typing class
Mac OS

-Compaq Presario: Doing all my at home computing
Windows XP Home, Ubuntu live CD, Morphix live CD

poofyhairguy
December 16th, 2004, 10:17 PM
I never realised until sometime last week that I used so many computers in one day. 5 different PC's and up to 6 operating syetems!

Here they are:

-Gray iMac: For the school math lab
Mac OS 9.not sure

-Blue iMac: At the school library to look at GNU/Linux websites
Mac OS 9.2

-Gateway E Series: For my Visual Basic.NET class
Windows XP Professional

-Power PC, Power Macintosh 5500/225: For my typing class
Mac OS

-Compaq Presario: Doing all my at home computing
Windows XP Home, Ubuntu live CD, Morphix live CD

That is a lot.

I use:

Mine (Warty with backports)

My Girlfriends (Fedora Core 3, soon to be SimplyMEPIS -if the new version recognizes USB mice.)

Dell XP machine up at school to check my email

jakeslife
December 16th, 2004, 10:23 PM
At work I use a dull PC with WinXP installed on it in my office (I use Ubuntu LiveCD on the weekends). At the front desk is a Dell with XP.

At home I use the computer I built with XP Pro switching to Ubuntu after I move at the end of the month). I used to have one computer with Xp Pro, one with Mandrake, and one with Suse, but someone decided to burn the apartment building down so the two linux boxes were toast. I find that no matter what the OS is, a burned out computer is still a burned out computer! :-P

flibblesan
December 16th, 2004, 10:27 PM
At work I use a dull PC with WinXP installed on it in my office (I use Ubuntu LiveCD on the weekends). At the front desk is a Dell with XP.

At home I use the computer I built with XP Pro switching to Ubuntu after I move at the end of the month). I used to have one computer with Xp Pro, one with Mandrake, and one with Suse, but someone decided to burn the apartment building down so the two linux boxes were toast. I find that no matter what the OS is, a burned out computer is still a burned out computer! :-P
Mostly I use my main PC which is happily running Ubuntu Warty. Sometimes I use my Fujitsu laptop which is running Warty also :D

Windows don't live here anymore :P

gheorghe_pop
December 16th, 2004, 10:35 PM
I use a TOSHIBA 480CDT WIN98 for editing word documents,net,some vb.Programing
I use a AthlonXP 2000+ as my home computer with UBUNTU and WINXP-for my father.
At scool i use various PC mostly windows based.

jdodson
December 16th, 2004, 11:17 PM
work:

sun ray terminal "sun ray1"
windows xp
redhat linux 9.0(surprisingly stable, fast and reliable)

home:
winxp laptop(wifes)
warty with many debian packages - my main machine
old computer - damn small linux because it has no HD :mrgreen:

jdong
December 16th, 2004, 11:22 PM
School:

1GHz - 1.4GHz Dells with 256-512MB RAM, Windows XP. (Sometimes I'll livecd them)

1.4GHz Dell, 512mb RAM, Ubuntu Warty + Backports
1.4GHz Dell, 512mb RAM, Ubuntu Hoary

Home:

1.8GHz Sony desktop, 512MB RAM, XP
1.0GHz crappy Desktop, 128MB RAM, Win2k (use it for some embedded auto stuff)
Athlon64 3000+ Desktop (my main desktop), 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Warty + Backports+reiser4, Ubuntu Hoary dual boot
Celeron 330 Laptop, 768MB RAM, Ubuntu Warty+Backports, Win XP dual-boot. Usually to get an insane 6hr+ battery life, I'll use it as a X or NX terminal to my desktop!

Lovechild
December 16th, 2004, 11:57 PM
1600+ Athlon-XP, 512meg PC133, 120 GB HD - Ubuntu Hoary/Fedora Development

Quest-Master
December 17th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Crappy old Dell computer and this one-- 40GB HD, 2.3Ghz Celeron, 256MB RAM, Windows XP Home and Ubuntu.

oddabe19
December 17th, 2004, 02:03 AM
My personal compies...
AMD 2000+ 1 gig ram, SB Audigy, GeForce 4800SE, blah blah blah.... 60 gig HD (WinXP stuff... for some C+ programing... i haven't booted since March actually to this) and 80 gig HD (Ubuntu Hoary Primary OS, Gentoo Secondary OS)

Crappy 233mhz PII, 96 megs ram, 8 gig HD, blah blah... scrounged up the parts from various dumpster diving expeditions (hey don't laugh, dumpsters are a geek's wet dream...)... Usually has a variety of OS's... Gentoo, LFS, Debian, whatever i feel like putting on that day.

My G/f's
Dell Inspirion lappy (can't remember what model) 2.4 Ghz, very nice... WinXP (she refuses to let me put LINUX on it... being a meterologist she uses Unix all the time... and hates it.

My parents (when i'm visiting them for Christmas, etc...)
Crappy 475mhz k6/2, 64 megs ram, Win98.... dial up *shivers* but they only check e-mail so it's good for them.

mr_ed
December 17th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Work: Windows 2000
Home: Ubuntu Hoary
Laptop: Ubuntu Warty (which I use at both home and work)

bob k
December 17th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Work: Windows 2000
Home: Ubuntu Hoary
Laptop: Ubuntu Warty (which I use at both home and work)
I use a duel booted Ubuntu/Win2k, win2k is used for network backups to disk, Ubuntu is used for surfing.

And then I run a full blown Win2kpro machine for my accounting system and Email for my B2B stuff, with 4 clients.

I would like to get off of Win but that won't happen for awhile
You ask a vendor if they support Linux, and the answer is usually no.

It's really a pain keeping Win up to date.

Bob

tleroy
December 17th, 2004, 01:17 PM
One Gateway Tablet PC (forget model #) most of the day at work.

Various Dell Servers at work runnint NT/2000.

One of 4 Dells or a Compaq at home running many different Windows based OS's, with one running Ubuntu, of course. :)

Ubuntu's the most interesting.

DoubleDangerClub
December 17th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Work: Dell Tower w/ Windows XP Pro.
Home: Gateway Laptop w/ Ubuntu Warty and Windows XP Pro

That's not much. :(

awg1011
December 18th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Gateway 310x with XP Home and 2 failed attempts to install SuSE as a second OS.
Live CDs Knoppix and DSL but can't do much with live CDs on this PC.
I might pull out my old Gateway 450 to install Ubuntu when it gets here, or try again to install a second OS on the 310x.

tfyp
December 19th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Home: Dual-booted non-brand computer (I have upgraded everything atleast once, most things 2-4 times) with Ubuntu Warty & Win98SE
School: IBM laptop with WinXP :-x

BWF89
December 20th, 2004, 12:12 AM
I'm very disapointed to see the number of users useing Window$...

mark
December 20th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Work: a no-name beige box, Celeron CPU (not sure of the speed), Windows 2000.

Home: order-built no-name black box (Intel D865GLC mainboard, Pentium 4 2.8GHz HT CPU), 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, on-board video/LAN/sound, Ubuntu Linux and a 200MB DR-DOS partition (mainly for BIOS upgrades).

winston
December 22nd, 2004, 10:13 PM
At work I use a Dell Win XP and Dell Win 2K machines, also just got through loading ubuntu on a spare Dell laptop here.

At home I use a Frankenstein with XP mostly for games, a laptop with Win 2K, 2 dual proc frankenstein's one with Mandrake 10.0 running my webserver and the other just using it as a Disto test machine.

So far been happy with ubuntu the support here is great (I had the no sound problem). Didn't have any trouble finding the fix for it.

Oops forgot I also have a Blue and White G3 running OS X (Jaguar) getting real tired of MS.

safecracker
December 22nd, 2004, 10:44 PM
Webserver - Debian

RADIUS Server - Debian

Squid Cache - Slackware

Toshiba Laptop - Ubuntu

Sony Vaio 505fx - Ubuntu

Sisters Desktop when forced to fix - Windows XP

tomchuk
December 22nd, 2004, 11:00 PM
Research Lab:
A few Dell dualies all running RH9, FC2, RHEL3 and a robot running RH7.2

Colo'd server: Dell P4, RHEL3

Home:
IBM T40 - warty
P3 - 500 with a bunch of drives running Sarge,
A couple old iPaq desktops running whatever I need them to be. Which, right now, is unpatched Windows XP and NT4 installs for some AI IDS stuff I'm working on.

ra1
December 22nd, 2004, 11:08 PM
At home i use Ubuntu Warty, Debian Woody, Slackware and Solaris 9.
At work and on servers - slackware.

socrazy143
December 24th, 2004, 06:46 PM
My work PC is a Toshiba Notebook running WinXP that I regularly cheat on with Damn Small Linux Live and now Ubuntu of course! I also run the network here at the church which has several HP desktops running WinXP and the occasional upgrades and repairs to Windows discarded step children (Win98, Win98SE and WinME).

orion_114
December 24th, 2004, 07:45 PM
2 x P4 WinXP for Games, movies and music.
3 x P3 433 MHz Ubuntu Linux for fun, development, webserver etc. etc.

Been working on some red hat server on the weekend.

HiddenWolf
December 25th, 2004, 11:49 AM
My homebuilt AMD2200 / 512mb ram / ATI9200 tux-machine. :-)