PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install Canon MF4270

fredfelter
June 21st, 2008, 02:19 AM
There is an archived thread on this subject that ended in May but I can't make the info work for me.
Ubuntu 8.04 on Thinkpad T22

I believe I've downloaded the proper apps, GhostScript and the Canon driver ver. 1.05.
One poster said all he had to do was dbl. click on the Debian files contained in the download and it installed. When I do that it asks if I want to Run it but when I do nothing seems to occur.

Here is what is happening to me: Printing > New Printer > searching > it finds my Canon complete with proper IP address > searching for drivers > up comes a screen asking to select a printer from a list which then directs me to a generic driver that doesn't work OR it directs me to Provide PPD file. There actually is such a file within one of the driver download packages but using that doesn't work. It looks like I need to use the Debian files but I can't see how to make the printer config app see them.

Thanks for any help in advance.

phidia
June 21st, 2008, 02:44 AM
Your printer is listed at the openprinting database and they claim it works "perfectly". Go to the page here (http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-MF4270) for the printer listing. The driver for the MF4270 which seems to be the same as the 4150 is found here (http://support-au.canon.com.au/EN/search?canonsearch=1&lang=EN&category=All-in-One+Printers&series=Laser+Multifunction&model=Laser+imageCLASS+MF4140%2fMF4150&menu=Download).

fredfelter
June 21st, 2008, 03:09 AM
Thanks phidia but as you'll see in my posting I've already downloaded the Canon driver. The problem I'm having is how to get the printer config app to recognize the driver.

phidia
June 21st, 2008, 04:47 AM
Thanks phidia but as you'll see in my posting I've already downloaded the Canon driver. The problem I'm having is how to get the printer config app to recognize the driver.

The driver from that link is a later version and you will have to select the provide PPD file. Are you selecting the printer as a LPD/LPR Host?

fredfelter
June 21st, 2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks for hanging in there with me Phidia.

No I'm not selecting LPD/LPR because I already see the Canon listed as a choice and, besides, LPD/LPR leads me to the same generic driver/PPD screen anyway.

Here's what's happening: Printing > Printer config > New Printer > the Canon is listed with its IP address and Port > Forward > searching for drivers > the generic driver or provide PPD file screen > select PPD > browse to the 2 source files in the driver download (no PPD in the "cups commom" but there is a PPD in the "cups lb") > open the "cups lb > PPD > 4200 ZS.ppd > back to New Printer > rename > apply > adding > now I see the Canon listed in Printer Config-local host as the default printer but the print test page is greyed out and the printer doesn't work.

It seems like I'm close to making this happen but I don't know what else to try.

darthbrader
June 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM
I've also been trying to get the MF4200 working in 8.04 Hardy. I downloaded the australian drivers linked from the openprinting (http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-MF4270) page. My printer config shows:
Device URI: socket://1.2.3.4:9100 (where 1.2.3.4 is the printer's IP)
Make and Model: Canon MF4200 Series UFRII LT Ver.1.7

I selected the PPD file installed by the .deb package from Canon here:
/usr/share/cups/model/CNCUPSMF4200ZK.ppd

I had to fiddle around with it a bit and reboot the printer, but it seems to have just started working. I've generally found this printer's networking to be a bit flaky... it was a bunch of shenanigans to get it working with Macs as well.

fredfelter
June 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the reply Darthbrader.
I just changed the PPD file to the ZK one from the ZS one I was previously using but that made no difference.
Can you do a "print test page"? I can't because it is greyed out, suggesting I don't have the printer configured correctly.

darthbrader
June 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah, it seems to be working OK. The printer status shows idle, and I can print the test page. Are you using socket://... for the URI instead of lpd://..., as indicated on the openprinting page for the MF4270?

You also said your driver version was 1.05; I'm using 1.7. The only difference between the 'S' and the 'K' should be that 'S' is for the United States driver while the 'K' is for the United Kingdom driver. The openprinting page implies that the US driver isn't available, though obviously you found one. I'm not sure what that's all about, but I'd guess the driver version is more important than the country designation.

Good luck!

fredfelter
June 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM
What I have in "Printer configuration-localhost" is:

Device URI socket://xxx.xxx.x.xx:9100 (x's being the IP address of printer according to the settings I got from the printer itself)
Description: blank
Make and model: Canon MF4200 Series UFR11 LT ver. 1.7
Printer status: stopped
Default printer: this is ...
Tests and maintenance: 3 buttons all greyed out

It sure looks like it is ready to go except for the test buttons.

fredfelter
June 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM
An associated question:

Is there another download to do in addition to the .ppd file? I was reviewing the CUPS page and noted that they speak of a driver download plus a PPD download. I have done the .ppd one but is there more because you mention the Debian package and in order to get the .ppd files I did not have to open any Debian folders?

Thanks

darthbrader
June 22nd, 2008, 01:27 AM
Perhaps... the file I got from Canon was called UFR_II_Printer_Driver_for_Linux_Driver_v170_uk_EN. tar.gz. It contained two debian packages under 32-bit_driver/debian. They are called cndrvcups-common_1.70-1_i386.deb and cndrvcups-ufr2-uk_1.70-1_i386.deb. They installed a bunch of ppd files, and presumably some other stuff as well. Perhaps that's what you're missing?

Good luck!

phidia
June 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah that link I posted before had the latest driver 1.07 I think?
Try that.

cyberkost
December 28th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Gents,

has anyone installed MF4270 completely -- such that both scanning AND printing works. What about the issue of only flipping the pages on the short side in duplex printing? Has it been overcome?

More generally, would you recommend Canon MF4270 over Brother MFC-7840W (wireless networking, better Linux support, but no duplex and more expensive printing)?

alexcuervo
April 25th, 2009, 03:48 AM
For 64bit users there is a good guide here
For the printer part
http://queleimporta.com/installing-canon-imageclass-mf4270-on-ubuntu-64-bit/

For the scanner part:
http://queleimporta.com/installing-canons-imageclass-mf4270-scanner-on-ubuntu-64-bit/

Francewhoa
May 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Click here for HOWTO: Install Canon ImageCLASS MF4270 Multifunction driver. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1140724)