PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Permissions problem on external HDD

slibuntu
June 21st, 2008, 01:06 AM
Hi,
My external HDD won't let me add files to it, or create folders etc.

I mounted it with the following command -

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1

It mounts and I am able to read and excecute files, ls -l gives

drwxr-xr-x 28 root root 32768 1970-01-01 01:00 sdb1

Hunky dory, all i need to do is sudo chown slibuntu:slibuntu -R /media/sdb1 right?

Nope, it gives me operation not permitted every time for every file! Any ideas?

sharks
June 21st, 2008, 01:42 AM
then sudo mkdir name-of-the-folder

mamcgrath
June 21st, 2008, 02:03 AM
Hi

I had a problem like this a while back. It has something to do with permissions on a FAT drive. Why are you trying to mount it manually? Does it not mount automatically when you connect it?
If it is permanently connected you try something like this in your /etc/fstab

'/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 vfat auto,user,uid=1000,gid=1000,exec,rw 0 0

This is assuming your uid and gid is 1000.

oshilig
June 23rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
I am having the same problem with an external drive that I cannot change from Read-Only.

It mounts when I plug it in, I but when I try to change permissions (right click, Properties) it tells me it is Read-Only.

ls -l /media gives

drwx------ 18 silver root 32768 1969-12-31 16:00 LOCAL DISK

Any advice how to change my permissions?

paulderol
June 23rd, 2008, 07:19 AM
can you alter the folder permissions inside of the drive? i would reccomend that as at least a temporary workaround.

If that doesn't work out for you, you might have to reformat the drive...Western Digital puts a bunch of BS on their drives as a "service" which messed up my permissions early in my linux career.

hyper_ch
June 23rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
why do you use fat32 drive?

oshilig
June 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
can you alter the folder permissions inside of the drive? i would reccomend that as at least a temporary workaround.

same problem, error message saying it is read only again.

[/QUOTE]If that doesn't work out for you, you might have to reformat the drive...Western Digital puts a bunch of BS on their drives as a "service" which messed up my permissions early in my linux career.[/QUOTE]

This would blow, there is a lot of data there I don't want to lose.

paulderol
June 23rd, 2008, 08:12 AM
i think that if you run the following in the terminal it should repair some of this...

sudo chmod a+rw /location/of/drive -R -v

this should allow read and write access for everyone.

hyper_ch
June 23rd, 2008, 08:26 AM
it's FAT32 - UNIX permissions don't work on it.

vanadium
June 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
there is a lot of data there I don't want to lose
then I am sure you have a second drive with a copy of the data anyway.

That said, external USB drives should automatically mount with read/write permissions for the current user: do not put an external drive in /etc/fstab!

The permissions you showed for the mount point indicate that user "silver" would have all rights.

If you are user "silver" and you can still not write, then perhaps there is a problem with the file system: you would need to check the drive and repair it.

To check a fat drive without repairing it:

1) Unmount the drive (right-click the icon on the desktop)
2) Find the device name of your drive: open a terminal using "Applications - Accessories - Terminal", and on the command prompt, type "sudo blkid". You will need to provide your login password (and have user rights).
3) Check the drive with the command "sudo dosfsck /dev/sd?", where you replace /dev/sd? with the actual device name found under 2)

If in doubt, post the output of the commands here (Select in terminal using mouse, then "Edit - Copy) so we can continue to help.

Sorry if these instructions are too basic: this is the Absolute beginners forum.

slibuntu
June 23rd, 2008, 11:18 AM
I'll try that, thanks, i've been meaning to reformat it, but its mt dumping ground, everything is on there, and annoyingly, it doesn't auto mount!