PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System Reqs

tubawxman
June 21st, 2008, 12:59 AM
I've been searching all over for system requirements to run Ubuntu and have been unable to locate any. The company I work for is selling some PCs for cheap and I was considering buying one to run Ubuntu on. It has a Celeron processor, which I am not familiar with at all. Given the following specs, could the PC run Ubuntu? If so, which distro would be best.

Dell GX260
1.7 to 2.0 GHz Celeron Processor
20GB Hard Drive
512 MB Memory Ram

I could upgrade the memory and HD, I'm concerned about the processor mainly.

Thanks in advance!

RomeReactor
June 21st, 2008, 01:03 AM
Hi. That system should be able to run Ubuntu without problems. The system requirements are at the bottom of this page (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition).

tubawxman
June 21st, 2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks! I knew it was probably there somewhere!

RomeReactor
June 21st, 2008, 01:20 AM
No problem. Welcome to the forums :D

Bigtime_Scrub
June 21st, 2008, 01:24 AM
Just some food for thought, I was running Ubuntu with about those specs. I like all of the full featured apps like amaroK, azuerus, open office, etc. When you do that things run a little on the slow side. I switched Xcfe Xubuntu and I got the performence speed I was looking for. I love me some Xubuntu :)

mivo
June 21st, 2008, 02:06 AM
I have a laptop with very similar specs, and I found Ubuntu to be a little sluggish. I then tried out Xubuntu, and it was significantly more responsive. My recommendation would be to give Xubuntu a try. :) The community and the repositories (application databases) are the same.

sagor71
June 21st, 2008, 02:55 AM
hi there just new to ubuntu but interested. 1Ghz, 384MB,40GB suitable ? may system is Dell Latitude C600. desktop effects doesnt work on my system. any advice please?

RomeReactor
June 21st, 2008, 03:15 AM
Hi. Your laptop most likely has an Intel integrated gpu, in which case it may be difficult to enable the effects; please open a terminal and paste:

lshw -C display
then press ENTER, and post the output here.

sagor71
June 21st, 2008, 04:36 AM
thanks but that didnt work.yes it has an intel display

RomeReactor
June 21st, 2008, 05:28 AM
thanks but that didnt work.yes it has an intel display

Sorry about that; run it using sudo:

sudo lshw -C display
And post the complete output.

We need to know exactly which model of Intel gpu you have, as some Intel models are more diffcult to configure to get direct rendering--and in some cases, not possible at all. Also post the ouput of this:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf