PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sharing Folders

hellodoggie
June 21st, 2008, 12:10 AM
Hello

I want to share a folder on my Windows network. However, when I right click on the folder and click folder sharing I get the message:

'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error Permission denied
You do not have permission to create a usershare. Ask your administrator to grant you permissions to create a share.

How do I overcome this?

Thanks

Hospadar
June 21st, 2008, 01:50 AM
I think you might need to add yourself to the samba group. Not totally sure that that's what is required, but give it a try. System->Administration->Users and Groups

Also group adding can be done from the command line if you prefer, but I forget the command.

hellodoggie
June 22nd, 2008, 07:34 AM
Hello.

The method suggested does not work.:confused:

Is it possible to share a folder from the command line?

azurepancake
June 22nd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Try the following command in a terminal session..

sudo smbpasswd -a <yourUsername>

This is the other method of doing this. Hope it helps!

Edit:

You CAN set shares manually from the 'smb.conf' file, located at '/etc/samba/smb.conf'..

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

Here you can add share definitions. I really recommend following this guide if you are going to get into Samba http://samba.netfirms.com/. I followed it to setup my Ubuntu file server and it worked great.

Flynsarmy
June 22nd, 2008, 08:01 AM
Open nautilus in root mode "gksudo nautilus". Then it'll work.

hellodoggie
June 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
gksudo nautilus = works great

THANK YOU!!!:KS

azurepancake
June 22nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
So 'gksudo nautilus' I suppose just opens up nautilus with root rights until you close it?

billgoldberg
June 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
So 'gksudo nautilus' I suppose just opens up nautilus with root rights until you close it?

Yes.

So don't go changing/deleting files you don't know.