PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Wireless connection stopped when upgraded to Gutsy

greymoose58
June 20th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I updated our family computer to Gutsy so that we could get my wife's new iPod Nano working with Amarok and now the wireless network is a wireless notwork.
It was working fine right up until I rebooted into Gutsy. No changes were made to the settings from before that. I have tried all of the How Tos and troubleshooting guides I have been able to find (including the stickys at the top of the Networking & Wireless forum) to no avail.](*,) Can anyone help me?

We have a Linksys WRT54G router with the latest firmware installed. Normally the MAC filter is running and the ESSID is not broadcasting but for the purpose of trying to get it working again I have dropped the MAC filter and started broadcasting the ESSID. The card is a Linksys WMP54G. As far as I can figure the card is recognised and the network signal can be picked up but there is no connection between the two. This is pretty obviously not my area of expertise so if I've left out any information that might be useful in diagnosing the problem please let me know.

The output of iwconfig looks like this:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

ra0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2346 B
Encryption key:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

My /etc/network/interfacesfile looks like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

#auto eth1
#iface eth1 inet dhcp

#auto eth2
#iface eth2 inet dhcp

#auto ath0
#iface ath0 inet dhcp

#auto wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp

#auto ra0
#pre-up ifconfig ra0 up
iface ra0 inet static
address 192.168.0.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.106.0.1
pre-up ifconfig ra0 up
pre-up iwconfig ra0 essid romeo
pre-up iwconfig ra0 mode Managed

Scanning for a newtwork using iwlist rao scanning gets:

ra0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:16:B6:A5:DC:7E
ESSID:"romeo"
Mode:Master
Channel:11
Frequency:2.412 GHz
Signal level=-30 dBm
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=000000001a001974

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Pjotr123
June 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Try Hardy 8.04. And avoid upgrading: a clean installation is always best:
http://ubuntutip.googlepages.com/upgrading

greymoose58
June 21st, 2008, 12:21 AM
Cheers,

If I can't work out the problem shortly I think I'll take your advice. I'd like to learn a bit more about wireless networking though so I'll see if anyone has any other ideas before I do that.

I read the page you linked to and I won't be using the upgrade button again.

greymoose58
June 22nd, 2008, 02:03 AM
Ok. I swallowed my pride/ignorance and downloaded the Hardy CD. Unfortunately the family computer this is all about doesn't have enough RAM to install it. So I'm back to trying to fix the wireless setup. Do you think a clean install of Gutsy might resolve it?

Cheers.

greymoose58
July 27th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Finally sorted! :biggrin:

For any who follow in my footsteps here are links to the threads I found useful.
After doing a clean install of Hardy Heron as suggested by Pjotr123 I got the wireless working but it dropped out on reboot. It seems that this is a bug in Hardy so I used the following to get it working again:

I got the driver suggested in this posting (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=626246) and installed it as instructed. (The thread is for Gutsy but it seems to have worked on Hardy.)

Then I edited the interfaces file as suggested in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=777036). I had to tweak it a bit for my system but it did the trick.

Thanks to all for your help.