PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need Some Help Quick Please

Andrew79
June 20th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Okay, so I don't know what I did originally, but I had to reinstall. I don't know where I left my disks, but i had to use 6.10.
So know I am wanting to upgrade it back to 8.04. I tried to use the upgrade manager, but it wanted me to put 7.10 on first, but it won't let me do that? I downloaded 8.04, and have it sitting in a window opened. It has files and what not in it, but I can't make it do anything........help!

Duck2006
June 20th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Is your BOIS set to boot from your cd first?

BGFG
June 20th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Yes, if you still have net access, first find out which key gets you into your BIOS. i have a dell so i press F2 when booting. once you get in you can set the machine to boot from cd then you won't have to worry about upgrading. You can just install 8.04 directly from the cd.

Have you downloaded the Live CD and burnt it to cd ?

lisati
June 20th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Don't forget that an ISO file is a disk image, and usually doesn't need to be decompressed.

cariboo907
June 21st, 2008, 12:03 AM
If you've got the iso sitting on your desktop it isn't going to do you much good. You have to burn it to a CD for it to be useable.

Jim

Andrew79
June 21st, 2008, 12:35 AM
/home/andrew/Desktop/Screenshot.png

This is what I have? What is going on?

Andrew79
June 21st, 2008, 12:48 AM
Okay, I burnt it to the disk. Now what, reboot it from the Bios and use this disk?

Duck2006
June 21st, 2008, 12:51 AM
Okay, I burnt it to the disk. Now what, reboot it from the Bios and use this disk?

Reboot your system and make sure your BOIS is set to boot from your CD.

Andrew79
June 21st, 2008, 01:06 AM
Okay, that did not work. Is there another way to upgrade?

BGFG
June 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM
Hi Andrew,
Hope you're up and running already, but if not, could you tell me the cd that you downloaded as well as the program you used to burn it ? or how you burnt it ?

Once you download the Live cd image, burn it to disk and restart the machine (having set it to boot from disk) UBUNTU should pop up and ask you if you want to try ubuntu or install it.

Another thing.
I whatever burning software you are using, ensure that you find and select the option "Burn CD image" or "Burn ISO image" something like this.