PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error 15 File Not Found during installation

coldfire204
June 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Hello, I just tried to install Ubuntu 8.04 using the 'Install Inside Windows' option on the CD, and also by trying the full installation install as well. With both methods of installing, I get to the screen where you can pick which OS you want to load (for me, it's either XP or Ubuntu.) If I pick Ubuntu I get an error message saying something to the effect that menu.lst is missing. Should I just try reburning this onto another disc or something? I usually don't have any problems like this, I always burn stuff at the slowest possible setting. My system and DVD burner aren't top of the line, but they don't suck either.

If it matters, I'm using a DVD writer to burn, but using CD-R to put the program on, instead of a blank DVD.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Prospero2006
June 20th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I had this problem as well when I tried to do a dual-boot install XP/Ubuntu.
Here's what you should do:

Boot the live CD and access the filesystem on which the operating system is installed.

Use a text editor to access /boot/grub/menu.list

Within that file there are parameters defined for each O/S. The incorrect parameter is most likely listed like this hd: (1,0) or something similar.
Start by changing the numbers in parentheses. Start with (0,0) and move up.
Eventually, I'd be willing to bet grub will pick up the disk correctly and boot.

?

coldfire204
June 20th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I tried opening the menu.lst file from a command prompt, but I get an error 27: Unrecognized command. I can't even cd to switch out of the default directly GRUB>. None of the usual commands that work in a UNIX shell work.. so I tried finding the file on the installation on my E drive in Windows. I found it, but it's just a bunch of gibberish characters, so no help there. Is vi still the standard UNIX text editor, or is there something else I should be trying to open this thing with?

Prospero2006
June 21st, 2008, 12:27 AM
Boot a live cd like knoppix maybe, or the Ubuntu installation disc.
You can use one of the text editors from gnome. Or at the command line, I find pico is easy for quick fixes if you aren't familiar with vi or emacs.

coldfire204
June 21st, 2008, 12:56 AM
lol, well, apparently all I had to do was move the installation from the E: drive to the C: drive, now it works just fine. Thanks for your help though!