PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen Resolution

HyperDriven
June 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Well, ubuntu is up and running, and I'm loving it :) Thanks to those who helped me in my previous post - really appreciated ;)

I am however experiencing a slight annoyance, not a problem. I have NO graphics card installed on this one machine (it melted horribly a month ago and haven't had the time or cash to replace it). The whole screen is very 'oversized' and everything seems zoomed in. Is there anyway to change the resolution of my TFT monitor?

ruffEdgz
June 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM
When you go to System >> Screen Resolution does it let you change the resolution to a bigger size?

Just wondering :D

jimv
June 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Well, we'd need to know what your graphics card/onboard graphics chip is.

To find out, type this in a console:

lspci | grep VGA

HyperDriven
June 20th, 2008, 10:01 PM
When you go to System >> Screen Resolution does it let you change the resolution to a bigger size?

Just wondering :D
No it doesn't, the maximum is 800*600...

@ jimv - it says it's a VGA compatible controller, UniChrome Pro IGP

WildOscar
June 20th, 2008, 10:02 PM
If you have just installed a fresh copy of Hardy Heron, maybe this might help.

Goto. System>>preference>>main menu
and check box for Other>>Screen and Graphics
Now u can select ur display! ... install ur Driver
System>>Administrative>> Hardware drivers
Check on you graphisc card to download and use the restricted drivers.

Hope these steps help you sort it out. Faced a similar problem after reading the forums tried this, it worked!

Wobblybob
June 20th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Do you need to instal a restriced driver for your [I assume] on board graphics card, try [System], [Admin..], [hardware Drivers] enable graphics driver if present, re boot then re check to make sure the driver is ticked as in use. You should be able to goto [System], [Preferences], [Screen Res...] to change the settings if they have not auto changed.

HyperDriven
June 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Ok guys, will reboot and see what happens. I will have to end up getting a new graphics card soon anyway, but til then will try out what you have all suggested, and report back :)

Cheers ;)

HyperDriven
June 21st, 2008, 06:35 AM
Well guys, I got it working :)

Wildoscar - probably the same probem as you mate :P

Thanks again, everyone, for all your help :)