PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] case sensitivity

venturosa
June 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I have several hundred files stored on an external hard drive. The file system and the files have been created by 'Windows' and I receive additional files from other clients daily. Since switching to Ubuntu I've found out that Linux file managers are case sensitive which is a slight problem for me as all these files start with the word 'Ref' or 'ref' or 'REF' followed by a number, and so Nautilus displays them in three sections rather than in the number order. Is there a way to get round this? I'm thinking possibly a command or a script that could change those first three letters of every file in a directory.

Flimm
June 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Try pyrenamer or krename. You can install them from Applications, Add/Remove. I haven't tried them myself but they should do the job.

lazyart
June 20th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #2 in this thread might help. I would suggest running it in a copy of your data first...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=127491

Flimm
June 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I got it using krename.
On first run, choose tabbed GUI.
In the tab Files, add the files you want to rename.
In the tab Filename, type in the template field: rem[$4-]

That will do exactly what you asked for, and keep the capitalization of the rest of the filename. Plus you get to preview the renamed filenames before clicking finish.

venturosa
June 20th, 2008, 08:35 PM
pyrenamer works a treat. Does exactly what I wanted. Many thanks.

jakupl
June 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
You can also try thunar bulk rename
it can convert everything to lowercase or uppercase or whatever.

EDIT: too late.. oh well.

arsenic23
June 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Are they all in the same directory? You could just use rename.

rename 's/[Rr][eE][fF]/ref/' *

jakupl
June 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Are they all in the same directory? You could just use rename.

rename 's/[Rr][eE][fF]/ref/' *

Howcome rename has no recursive flag?