PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Supplied CD and .iso

datarater
June 20th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I would like to reset my Dell/Ubuntu 7.10 machine to its initial state as I lost my wifi when I did an upgrade.

Can I use either of the above items?

The CD says it is "Ubuntu 7.10 for your PC". Is this for Windows Machines?

and the .iso on the desktop says it is "ubuntu-dell-reinstall.iso". Can I use this somehow to restore to the factory settings?

I'm pretty confused by it so please explain simply.

Cypher
June 20th, 2008, 06:41 PM
The Re-install CD should allow you to restore your PC back to factory settings, just as you received it..

Since this is a "official" verion of Ubuntu from Dell, you should have some documentation about using the re-install CD?

You should backup whatever data is important to you before trying to play with the CD.

datarater
June 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Yes it is an official laptop. I received it on Wednesday.

I got a booklet called
"Dell Computers and Monitors
Product Information Guide"
but there is only 24 pages in english and nothing about either the .iso or the cd.

and I got leaflet called
"Dell INSPIRON 1525/1526 Setting UP YOUR COMPUTER" but that is a really simple one page glossy sheet.

I haven't got anything else.

On the glossy sheet it says "if you don't have a printed copy of the Owner's manual (I don't) click the Documentation and Support icon on the desktop (there isn't one..there is only the .iso) or go to the support.dell.com

So I do not have much to go on.

Any thoughts?

datarater
June 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Surely someone knows how to reset my laptop?

Cypher
June 24th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Since this is an official Dell laptop and release, your first course of action is to call them and help you through this. Should Dell not be able to help you, we might be able to dig further for you..

the_doc
June 24th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Reboot your system and there should be an option on the boot menu to re-install the operating system or something similiar (post the options and I'll tell you witch one), and that will restore the factory defaults.

I had to do it on my new Dell laptop the other day.

EDIT:

The CD is just the standard Ubuntu ISO and you don't get any intructions from Dell!