PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A list of things you do after a fresh install

matthew1471
June 20th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere there was a list of things that people did after a fresh install... but I can't find it.

Can someone point me in it's direction? Or can we start a new one (if it never existed?!)

I'm a complete newb... so the only thing I can add at the moment is that I

1) Install php, mysql and apache etc
2) Fiddle with the ~/.bashrc file
3) Fiddle with the font settings and resolution

What else do you do? I don't check for any updates (should I?), I don't set any security settings (should I?), in fact, I don't do anything apart from 1, 2 + 3! (should I be doing anything else?!)

Cypher
June 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
#1 is entirely dependant on whether you're going to be doing any web development or not. #2 is useful if you're going to be in the command line and want to customize it (most users will remain largely in the GUI). #3 need only be tweaked if you notice any actual deviation from the resolution your monitor is capable or if the font isn't to your liking.

After a fresh install from the CD, you should remove the CD from the Software Sources list and add the Ubuntu repos on the Internet including the Security repo. This will usually prompt an update to happen with all the latest packages.

I'm not sure there are any procedures that are required after a fresh install short of customization to suit your needs, i.e., themes, sounds, icons and so on..

drs305
June 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM
This may be the one you've seen recently:
Post installation checklist for Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 (http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5020719)

matthew1471
June 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure there are any procedures that are required after a fresh install short of customization to suit your needs, i.e., themes, sounds, icons and so on..

That's pretty much what I was thinking. It almost seems too easy...

1 is a must for me. 2 I find the terminal quicker to do stuff.

matthew1471
June 20th, 2008, 04:00 PM
This may be the one you've seen recently:
Post installation checklist for Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 (http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5020719)

Spot on!

I must have searched for 'things to do install' and loads of other stuff :)

Searching for 'post installation' didn't even cross my mind! Thx

Cypher
June 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM
That's pretty much what I was thinking. It almost seems too easy...

1 is a must for me. 2 I find the terminal quicker to do stuff.
I'm with you on both counts there..I come from the old days of Linux where you started off with the terminal and got X running after. :)

Vadi
June 20th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Go to youtube.com, install adobe flash

Add medibuntu repostory & install the main codecs package

Install some hot themes from gnome-look.org

Enable the cube in compiz & wobbly windows

That's about it.

avtolle
June 20th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I always suggest that the first thing to do is enable additional repositories, reload, then install all updates before doing anything else. Rationale is that with a new distribution, fresh install, there are problems which may have existed at release time that have been or may have been fixed in the period between release and the date of installation. Once this is done, then on to other things.

gianluca.colucci
June 20th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Hi there!

What additional repositories do you suggest to enable?

Cheers,
Gian.

Vadi
June 20th, 2008, 06:12 PM
The additional repositories he speaks of are already enabled by default (which is a good change).

Oldsoldier2003
June 20th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I always get rid of the ugly brown theme and background :) the rest just depends on the intended use of the particular machine.

Pjotr123
June 20th, 2008, 06:20 PM
This is my list:
http://ubuntutip.googlepages.com/thefirstthingstodo