PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] can't watch youtube videos in FF3

ninja senses
June 20th, 2008, 05:04 AM
anyone have a solution? I chercked my add-ons and there is a bunch of video plugins already there, why arent they playing?

monkey56657
June 20th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Among the list of plugins is there one called "Shockwave Flash" or a Flash alternative?

Also, Does the youtube player show up but just not play? Or can't you see the player at all?

ninja senses
June 20th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Among the list of plugins is there one called "Shockwave Flash" or a Flash alternative?

Also, Does the youtube player show up but just not play? Or can't you see the player at all?

Yes shockwave flash 8.0 r99 Gnash 0.8.1 <- is what it says

The whole youtube(or any video online really) doesnt show up

kansasnoob
June 20th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I'd start by adding the Medibuntu repo:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Make sure you add the GPG key!

Then open Synaptic and make sure the Medibuntu repo is "checked".

Software Sources should look like this:

Then click "Reload" in synaptic and wait until it's done running.

Now use the search feature in synaptic and install all of this:

gstreamer (ALL gstreamer - good, bad and ugly - if it starts with gstreamer install it)

sun-java6 (ALL sun-java6 except "doc" and "source") - doc wastes space and source breaks things!

flashplugin-nonfree

NOT RELATED but you'll likely want it later anyway:

acroread

non-free-codecs

kattman
June 20th, 2008, 05:31 AM
get the Flash plugin from Synaptic Package Manager
You want the flashplugin-nonfree

Dynaflow
June 20th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Follow this guide and all should be well with Flash: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

(There's also a comprehensive troubleshooting section at the bottom of the first post for both Flash and Java, each of which plays a role in getting Flash video to run.)

kansasnoob
June 20th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Sorry at least one of those screenshots came out bad:

ninja senses
June 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Follow this guide and all should be well with Flash: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

(There's also a comprehensive troubleshooting section at the bottom of the first post for both Flash and Java, each of which plays a role in getting Flash video to run.)

some of the commands arent working for me in the terminal.:confused: Im on gutsy

Dynaflow
June 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM
some of the commands arent working for me in the terminal.:confused: Im on gutsy

There are a couple parallel sets of instructions for most of the steps in the tutorial, one for Hardy users and one for pre-Hardy Ubuntu users. Are you using the pre-Hardy instructions?

ninja senses
June 21st, 2008, 10:38 PM
There are a couple parallel sets of instructions for most of the steps in the tutorial, one for Hardy users and one for pre-Hardy Ubuntu users. Are you using the pre-Hardy instructions?

yes.

Fedz
June 21st, 2008, 10:59 PM
Maybe consider Adobe FlashPlayer 10 (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html).

Goto: Places > Home > View > Show Hidden Files.

Find .mozilla > plugins and delete libflashplayer.so (if available).

Or uninstall from SPM.

1. Click the "Download .tar.gz" link. A dialog box will appear asking you where to save the file.
2. Save the .tar.gz file to your desktop and wait for the file to download completely.
3. Unpackage the file. A directory called install_flash_player_10_linux will be created.
4. In terminal, navigate to this directory and type ./flashplayer-installer to run the installer. Click Enter. The installer will instruct you to shut down your browser(s).
5. Once the installation is complete, the plug-in will be installed in your Mozilla browser. To verify, launch Mozilla and choose Help > About Plug-ins from the browser menu.

Hope this helps :-)

alienexplorers
June 21st, 2008, 11:25 PM
Using Adobe Flash Plugin 10 and have been watching YouTube video's for the last half hour. I have not had a burp or anything. Seems to work very well.

ninja senses
June 22nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Maybe consider Adobe FlashPlayer 10 (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html).

Goto: Places > Home > View > Show Hidden Files.

Find .mozilla > plugins and delete libflashplayer.so (if available).

Or uninstall from SPM.

1. Click the "Download .tar.gz" link. A dialog box will appear asking you where to save the file.
2. Save the .tar.gz file to your desktop and wait for the file to download completely.
3. Unpackage the file. A directory called install_flash_player_10_linux will be created.
4. In terminal, navigate to this directory and type ./flashplayer-installer to run the installer. Click Enter. The installer will instruct you to shut down your browser(s).
5. Once the installation is complete, the plug-in will be installed in your Mozilla browser. To verify, launch Mozilla and choose Help > About Plug-ins from the browser menu.

Hope this helps :-)

that did it, thanks a bunch man!!

bluzepher
June 22nd, 2008, 03:52 AM
this is great info.

thanks

hazman
June 23rd, 2008, 01:40 AM
i watch youtube music videos thru totem movie player and it works fine once you install all the plugins you just choose your video it searches as youtube click and play