PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Hangs

Biswanath55
June 20th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

I had Ubuntu (Gutsy) installed on a P4 machine and also upgraded to Hardy without any problems. Everything was perfect.

Recently due to some problems I had to change the machine.
Now I am trying to install on a machine with a Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz processor and Asus PSN-MX Motherboard, 1GB RAM., Nvidia GeForce 7050 chipset.

I have tried installing Gutsy 7.01 32bit version and Hardy 8.04 64 bit version both with identical results -- On clicking install , first there is progress bar which says something like 'kernel loading' for a few seconds, which completes and then there is a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top left corner. The process hangs in this situation.

Can anyone please help ? I'm stuck with Windows now.

Best Regards -- Biswanath Dutta (Kolkata India)

ScaredNoob
June 20th, 2008, 05:25 AM
If you're using a cdrw/dvdrw, it could be that your media is too scratched. Also, you might want to try doing the partitioning from the LiveCD, by installing GParted and gettting it to your liking before you click install. I've had install hangs when the installer goes to lock partitions. Could also be that your source image is buggered, try redownloading the image (use bittorrent to dilute the load on ol' Marky S.) Stuck with windows is no place for a growing boy/girl.

Biswanath55
June 28th, 2008, 04:49 AM
If you're using a cdrw/dvdrw, it could be that your media is too scratched. Also, you might want to try doing the partitioning from the LiveCD, by installing GParted and gettting it to your liking before you click install. I've had install hangs when the installer goes to lock partitions. Could also be that your source image is buggered, try redownloading the image (use bittorrent to dilute the load on ol' Marky S.) Stuck with windows is no place for a growing boy/girl.

As I said, I tried installing two different versions from two different CDs. One of the CDs worked perfectly in the old computer, so it cannot be a scratched CD or corruption problem, I guess ?