PDA

View Full Version : [other] Help with Asus eee

dnns123
June 20th, 2008, 04:37 AM
My friend thinks he got a virus on his Asus eee. He doesn't have an anti-virus because he thinks it'll be too slow to use(I think this is stupid).

How can I scan his computer using my computer if his harddive is soldered into his laptop? I'm not sure if I can plug it in like an external harddrive and scan it.

aysiu
June 20th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Windows XP, Xandros, or something else?

ScaredNoob
June 20th, 2008, 05:37 AM
For eee specific matters, eeeuser.com's forum section might be best able to help you. If your friend has the default operating system installed, uner settings go to "anti-virus" and launch your inquest from there. If you are able, go to settings => add/remove software and update your anti-virus database first. If your bud does have the default linux os, they probably don't have a virus. Could you explain the symptoms you think are viruslike?

dnns123
June 20th, 2008, 06:00 AM
He's using windows XP. He got the virus from sharing USBs...

aysiu
June 20th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Maybe install Knoppix to a USB stick, boot off it, install F-Prot, and scan for viruses and remove them?

These two links might help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick
Tux Can Give Windows a Helping Hand with Knoppix (http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/networking/features/article.php/3465141)

ScaredNoob
June 20th, 2008, 07:07 AM
ya basically whatever live-cd will be compatible with your networking card (ideally you can connect to a wired network) will allow you to install and update an anti-virus program or install firefox and then go to one of those free online scans. In the end, you might want to just use that live-cd as a backup-enabler and move his personal files to a usb/cd/dvd/hd/etc and reinstall windows after that.

gn2
June 20th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Why not just use the old time-honoured method of re-installing Windows, formatting or deleting the partition(s) first....?

Better yet, just install eeeXubuntu on it.