PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] how to search through packets

hershey101
June 19th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Hi,
I am new at UNIX and programing in general and only have a basic knowledge of C++. I am helping out with some research at a college and was given the task to sort through captured packets via IP addresses. I was wondering if anyone could help me with writing a code which filters through pcap files by ip addresses and then records the timestamps. I know a few programs that do this type of thing such as WireShark but they take up too much memory when analyzing gigabytes of data and that is why I am looking to write a relatively simple code which just gets my task done and gathers data for me. Please email me at hersh92@gmail.com, any help is appreciated.

HalPomeranz
June 20th, 2008, 03:47 AM
You should use tcpdump for this. It reads pcap data and can filter on pretty much anything you want, including IP addrs, and dump text output. "man tcpdump" for more info

robklg
June 20th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Your suggestion to seek help through e-mail is a bit disappointing. It's a public forum you know.

Well, take a look at libpcap. It's not that hard...

If you want SIMPLE, then try Python with any of these modules:

python-libpcap
python-pcapy

The latter sounds the easiest...

Good luck.

hershey101
June 23rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
I was thinking something more along the lines of using a separate text file for the IP addresses and some how use the 'tcpdump -r myfile.pco -w out.pcap ip src "1.2.3.4"' command to make it so that it matches the IPs with the text file. Also I am only interested in the time stamps and don't require the rest of the details of the packets, so it would be helpful if I wrote a code which filters through the clutter and gives me only the time stamps.
Thank You

HalPomeranz
June 23rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
tcpdump -nr myfile.pco | grep -Ff ipaddrfile | awk '{ print $1 }'

This should dump the packet capture into text ("tcpdump ..."), match only the IP addresses in ipaddrfile ("grep ..."), and print only the timestamps ("awk ...").