PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wierd security problem

jeepintx
June 19th, 2008, 08:08 PM
So this is a weird one. I have a wep protected network at home and another one that is my neighbors that is within range. I have a compaq v6000 and everything works great but maybe a little to great. When i put my computer into standby and then bring it back it automatically connects to wep protected networks without a password and ive been able to reproduce this on multiple wep protected networks. It will connect and get full access to the network however if i disconnect it then try to reconnect to the same network it will ask for the key. Seems like taking it out of standby makes it ignore the fact it needs a key. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced or know how this is working?

AVT-
June 19th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Are you sure the key isn't stored on your system, and is being used when you reconnect?

jeepintx
June 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Yes im positive, I have cleared out the wep keys stored on the computer and even reset my own wep key on my router and the results are the same. I went so far I drove around with 2 laptops one running xp and my compaq with hardy on it. the steps i took are as follows to reproduce

1. find a wep protected network and try to connect with both laptops not having any idea what the wep key is.

2. placed both laptops in suspend and brought them back up my hardy laptop connected to the wep network while the xp laptop is asked for a wep key. The hardy laptop has full access to the internet.

jeepintx
June 22nd, 2008, 05:03 AM
bump!