PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Broadcom 4311 on Dell Inspiron 6400, i can't take it anymore

BobTheDinosaur9
June 19th, 2008, 01:43 AM
ok so i know this is a common problem, i installed ubuntu for the first time the other night and after spending about an hour searching the forums i found a solution and got my network card working (wifi), thing is i didn't make a note of where i found the thread or who posted it...

then i installed kubuntu with kde 4.0 to see what that's like and now i have the same problem, thing is, i can't find that damn thread and all the other solutions i've tried don't work, i've managed to get the card on and the little wifi LED reacting to Fn+F2 but i can't see any wireless access points, ie its not working properly

if someone could just please give me an easy and simple straightforward way to load these drivers, some of the how-to's i found are several pages long and require like 50 lines to be entered into terminal (really), others are easy but just don't work (like the something-cutter one) the howto that saved me the first time involved nothing more than downloading some driver for my card (i think) i remember it being 1.53 or something (the poster made a note of the fact that there might be a newer version out and that i should then use that of course (yourversion)<-- keyword ) and then pasting a few lines into terminal and using the advanced text editor to modify a few lines in some file, i've tried using all these keywords to find the post but i just can't!

please take into account that i'm an advanced windows user but a complete linux noob, i've been using the terminal to fiddle with things but i've got no clue what i'm doing, no clue

thanks in advance!

Ayuthia
June 19th, 2008, 02:35 AM
ok so i know this is a common problem, i installed ubuntu for the first time the other night and after spending about an hour searching the forums i found a solution and got my network card working (wifi), thing is i didn't make a note of where i found the thread or who posted it...

then i installed kubuntu with kde 4.0 to see what that's like and now i have the same problem, thing is, i can't find that damn thread and all the other solutions i've tried don't work, i've managed to get the card on and the little wifi LED reacting to Fn+F2 but i can't see any wireless access points, ie its not working properly

if someone could just please give me an easy and simple straightforward way to load these drivers, some of the how-to's i found are several pages long and require like 50 lines to be entered into terminal (really), others are easy but just don't work (like the something-cutter one) the howto that saved me the first time involved nothing more than downloading some driver for my card (i think) i remember it being 1.53 or something (the poster made a note of the fact that there might be a newer version out and that i should then use that of course (yourversion)<-- keyword ) and then pasting a few lines into terminal and using the advanced text editor to modify a few lines in some file, i've tried using all these keywords to find the post but i just can't!

please take into account that i'm an advanced windows user but a complete linux noob, i've been using the terminal to fiddle with things but i've got no clue what i'm doing, no clue

thanks in advance!
I can see that you have found the NDISwrapper option. You might check this one and see if this one is the same as the one you were looking at:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769990

Hope that helps. If not, just come back and we can help get you going.

BobTheDinosaur9
June 19th, 2008, 09:39 AM
OMG! thats the one! are you part bloodhound maybe?

thanks!