PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Netstat gui/frontend

tigerstripedcat
June 18th, 2008, 11:40 PM
So windows has this cool program called xnetstat which bascially shows everything that's connected and the bytes in and out. Netstat for linux does this minus the bytes in and out. Does anyone know of a gui/frontend that would make viewing my connections easier that's:

not firestarter (pain, old, a mess)
not watchdog (doesn't monitor connections)
not gnome-nettool (doesn't do what I wan't)
not knetstat (what a deceiving name that is)

?

Thanks!
TSC

Dr Small
June 19th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Anything against wireshark, or is that not what you are looking for?

The Cog
June 19th, 2008, 08:50 AM
ntop does that and more but it's a bit of an overkill for your requirements probabaly (its a server with a web gui).

iftop probably fits what you want to do, but it's text based, not a full GUI. I like it though.

tigerstripedcat
June 21st, 2008, 07:15 PM
These might do the job but I'll have to play around with them.

Wireshark- seems more like a packet analyzer than a network analyzer, and a bit too complicated. I just want to know who's connecting and what takes away my speed.

iftop - I think this can work. It seems to jump around a lot and is not sorted by ip source or ip dest, but it's probably in the options.

Thanks guys!
TSC

bobyy
June 22nd, 2008, 04:47 AM
Iptraf do the trick... :)

L_V
July 22nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Iptraf is not a GUI front-end but a TUI (Terminal Front End).

I also wonder why there are so many netstat GUI interfaces for windows and none for linux, especially KDE.

hyper_ch
July 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
because linux people know how to use the command line and aren't just button-pushing monkeys ;) (ok, that was mean expressed)

L_V
July 22nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
because linux people know how to use the command line and aren't just button-pushing monkeysMay I say this is a really poor answer, especially in 2008 ?
Ok. Thanks in advance !

hyper_ch
July 22nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
why is it poor and what does the year have to do with it?

L_V
July 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
why is it poor and what does the year have to do with it?
When you say "because linux people blabla", don't forget you just represent yourself, and only yourself.
Talking about "linux users" is as crazy as talking about "windows users".
Why it is poor in 2008 ?
Because what you call "linux users" in 2008, is much more than people using lynx as main browser and scared of using applications based on Xorg.

In summary, linux is not limited to server applications anymore.

Now, why people are looking for a netsat GUI ?
Because it is simply far more convenient to use, especially for those being using in the past to zone-alarm firewall, or any good netstat GUI tool.

Open your eyes !

hyper_ch
July 22nd, 2008, 09:06 AM

Because it is simply far more convenient to use, especially for those being using in the past to zone-alarm firewall, or any good netstat GUI tool.

Open your eyes !

Don't forget the newly introduces POWER SHELL on Windows ;) Open your eyes also ;)

L_V
July 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Don't forget the newly introduces POWER SHELL on WindowsI don't forget, but just don't care especially on a ubuntu forum, and especially because looking for a GUI tool and not a CLI tool.

Don't you miss the subject ? Back to it now, if you don't mind.

The best GUI netstat tool I've found is KConnections (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KConnections?content=71204) , but could be improved by adding the URL names of visited sites.

Open to other netstat GUI solutions.

hyper_ch
July 22nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Don't you miss the subject ? Back to it now, if you don't mind.

Not really... but you started it with year 2008 and so on ;)

L_V
July 22nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Then if you have new GUI netstat tool for ubuntu and not windows, and better than Kconnections, please don't hesitate to inform.

hyper_ch
July 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
I did already ;)

L_V
July 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
I did already ;)Ok. How to you install "POWER SHELL of Windows" on ubuntu. I really don't catch your GUI proposal because I thought "POWER SHELL of windows" was a CLI tool and not a GUI tool.
Can you make a snapshot to clarify ?

hyper_ch
July 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
Ok. How to you install "POWER SHELL of Windows" on ubuntu. I really don't catch your GUI proposal because I thought "POWER SHELL of windows" was a CLI tool and not a GUI tool.
Can you make a snapshot to clarify ?

Have a read through this:

Iptraf is not a GUI front-end but a TUI (Terminal Front End).
I also wonder why there are so many netstat GUI interfaces for windows and none for linux, especially KDE.
and this:

because linux people know how to use the command line and aren't just button-pushing monkeys ;) (ok, that was mean expressed)

Got it?

L_V
July 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Got it? I just got that you just completely miss the subject :

Netstat gui/frontend, GUI for Graphical User Interface.

You cannot talk at all for the "Linux users", but just for you, and only you, like nobody is representing "windows users". That's a complet nonsense.
I thought you already understood before.

Thank you anyway.
Still open for better GUI netstat proposals.

hyper_ch
July 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
I just got that you just completely miss the subject
I don't miss it ;) I just am not as narrow-minded and think only in gui terms ;)

You cannot talk at all for the "Linux users", but just for you, and only you, like nobody is representing "windows users". That's a complet nonsense.
Where did I say I speak for them all? I thought you already understood before ;)

L_V
July 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
I just am not as narrow-minded Sorry to say you are just narrow minded to think that you are the guy like God to decide what is good or bad for people on earth, and decide what people should like or dislike.

Please use what you like, and if possible, stop trying to block the discussion, especially because you are not concerned by the subject.

hyper_ch
July 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
Sorry to say you are just narrow minded to think that you are the guy like God to decide what is good or bad for people on earth, and decide what people should like or dislike.

Please use what you like, and if possible, stop trying to block the discussion, especially because you are not concerned by the subject.

Well, if you are not open for new suggestions then it is not me who is narrow minded ;)

L_V
July 22nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
@hyper_ch

To be very clear.
You are a real boring narrow minded guy, and even much more.
Please, you lonely man, never talk on behalf of "linux users" or "windows users".
I stop this useless discussion with you.

hyper_ch
July 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I'm open for new things but seems to me you aren't ;)

Dr Small
July 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
@hyper_ch

To be very clear.
Please, you lonely man, never talk on behalf of "linux users" or "windows users".
I stop this useless discussion with you.
PLEASE, no debating and arguing.
hyper_ch is more knowledgable in many subjects than I am, and I regard his comments with high esteem. I am honored that he talks on behalf of the linux users.

Please drop this fighting, as this is not the place to do so.

Regards,
Dr Small

Oldsoldier2003
July 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
PLEASE, no debating and arguing.

Please drop this fighting, as this is not the place to do so.

Regards,
Dr Small

+1

/me nudges the conversation back toward the intended topic and gently reminds everyone that the forum is supposed to be a friendly helpful place.

xenon2000
July 25th, 2008, 04:19 PM
L_V, I agree with you. This thread should be about GUI Netstat alternatives for LINUX like you originally asked for by starting this thread. And that people suggesting non-GUI and non-Linux solutions are completely wasting everyone's time. I ran into your thread here on my search and I ended up wasting my time because of Hyper_ch writing a lot of stuff that is useless to this thread. I am only posting to support you and to let you know that I applaude you for holding your ground to try and bring the comments BACK to the thread topic.

Though sadly I don't have any suggestions myself, as that is why I was reading this thread in the first place. I wish mods could clean up threads like this. Basically pages 2 & 3 are useless, and even a good part of page 1. Actually, your first post gave more alternatives and the ONLY real alternatives to your own question. How sad is that.

I have used Linux and Windows forever it seems now. Well down to DOS 3 and the original Slackware and Redhat. And with such powerful machines, I welcome Linux GUIs! I didn't buy fast machines so I could type all my commands. LOL.

Oh yeah, Hyper_ch might be smart, funny, and an all around great guy (made all that up, I don't know him); but I completely agree that he missed the point about your question specific to asking for GUI Linux Netstat alternatives. Anyone reading from post #1 can see that. Talking about Windows, non-GUI app, or how the "general Linux" user is CMD savvy, is pointless.

ice60
July 26th, 2008, 06:47 PM
you can run some windows standalone programs with wine, like CurrPorts. it runs and seems to work.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

and hyper_ch was correct when he said "because linux people know how to use the command line and aren't just button-pushing monkeys" it might sound rude, but if there's another reason what is it?

i've got a few netstat aliases that update every 2 seconds, the output is no different to a gui frontend

schmendrick
July 31st, 2008, 12:22 PM
cool idea ice60! thank you, i didnt think of that but using CPorts with Wine on ubuntu works like charm!

unfortunately i cannot pass the chance to also say something to the discussion....

please note:

the question of L_V is:
Is there a GUI ?

it is not:
can i do the same in linux that i can do in windows with 'xnetstat'?

actually he does not care about solutions for the commandline. if he would, the question would have been different.

and its not only L_V, but everybody searching the net/ the forum that finds this thread will have the same question like him. They all do not care about commandline utilities at this point. they/him/me are searching for a GUI way to do it.

it would be too much (and much too much emotional) to now go into the discussion if GUIs are a good thing, or if the world would be a better place without any GUIs and only having commandline :)

so i wont pick up any of the comments of hyper_ch and L_V though it is tempting ...

its always fascinating to watch how fast such a topic can get emotional between ... i will call them linux-purists favoring commandline and ... the rest of the world :)

don't get me wrong, its the same for me i also get emotional.

but i just couldnt help to write that i understand L_Vs resentment to the answer.

to conclude this with something positive now:
the thread helped, and thats the main point!

Pentatox
August 1st, 2008, 01:59 PM
Oh Man Sounds Like You Should Rather Use Windows (Vista):lolflag:

Pentatox
August 1st, 2008, 02:00 PM
When you say "because linux people blabla", don't forget you just represent yourself, and only yourself.
Talking about "linux users" is as crazy as talking about "windows users".
Why it is poor in 2008 ?
Because what you call "linux users" in 2008, is much more than people using lynx as main browser and scared of using applications based on Xorg.

Open your eyes !

The Last Post Was In Reply To This

Oldsoldier2003
August 1st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Since there is nothing new being brought to this thread I'll close it. If you folks want to discuss cli vs gui, I'm sure you can find plenty of threads in recurring posts.