PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] NFS and NIS

EXCiD3
June 18th, 2008, 09:21 PM
So ive got workstations using NIS and NFS to login and mount /home from the server. I would like to use local accounts on the machines just in case the server was to go down and i am not able to come and fix it right away. Is there any way for me to configure this? I used the tutorials in the Wiki to set them both up and am using automount for the NFS share.

EXCiD3
June 18th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I think ive managed to get the problem down to this: if the workstation cannot mount an NFS share at /home...then the /home folder isntead of using what is in the root directory at /home (my local user account home folders) it makes /home empty. Is there any way i can get around this?

UPDATE: I just found this tutorial for solaris: http://support.attachmate.com/techdocs/1831.html does this work with ubuntu and/or does anyone have a link to a tutorial like this for debian/ubuntu?

EXCiD3
June 19th, 2008, 01:31 AM
8-[ bump 8-[

Hieu
January 6th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I have the same problem when both network users (via NIS/NFS) and local users of my work station need the folder /home/ to use.

Is there any method to redirect the $HOME of local users to /local_home/ (or $HOME of network users to /net_home) for example ?

Thank you,

Hieu
January 6th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I find the solution by using the command:
#usermod -d /home_local/username -m username