PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] To enable default security system?

mailtwogopal
June 18th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Hi all,

I am having Ubuntu hardy heron in my box which i recently installed. i read some postings in this forum regarding security in linux (am member of this forum right from day one). i came across the point that by default Ubuntu security system is not engaged or enabled. As a newbie i would like to ask u a query that Do i have to enable or to do something like that to activate my security system in Ubuntu. Please advise me regarding.

hyper_ch
June 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
what do you mean by default security system?

brian_p
June 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Hi all,

I am having Ubuntu hardy heron in my box which i recently installed. i read some postings in this forum regarding security in linux (am member of this forum right from day one). i came across the point that by default Ubuntu security system is not engaged or enabled.

That view is not correct. Did you not also read posts countering such misinformation?

As a newbie i would like to ask u a query that Do i have to enable or to do something like that to activate my security system in Ubuntu. Please advise me regarding.

You have to activate nothing. You have to do nothing. Just get on with enjoying using Ubuntu.

aysiu
June 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM
The firewall doesn't block anything by default because also by default there are no listening services running.

So you're fine unless you install some kind of server software (OpenSSH Server, Apache, etc.).

Read more here:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security