PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop Death wubi install

andy83
June 17th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hi i've been using ubuntu on my desktop for quite a while now (can't fault it) and have recently bought a laptop a couple of months ago.

It was an Advent 9515 (AMD TL60,2g ram,160g hard drive.) it came pre installed with vista which just became more and more annoying over time. So i tried out the hardy live cd and that worked fine apart from the wireless which could be sorted. I thought rather than do a complete install i'd just do a wubi install so i could play around a bit.

Unforunately after installing and booting up i had a brief glance at the desktop the screen went blank, there was a crackle and a puff of smoke........ And now its dead.
i know there could be any number of reasons but has anyhting happened like this before? Does anybody know of any specific software issues.

Also realisticly how do i stand in regards to getting a repair or exchange. I remember some guy not so long back having issues with some dead pixels and the shop doing nothing because he installed sabayon or some other distro.

archer6
June 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Hi i've been using ubuntu on my desktop for quite a while now (can't fault it) and have recently bought a laptop a couple of months ago.

It was an Advent 9515 (AMD TL60,2g ram,160g hard drive.) it came pre installed with vista which just became more and more annoying over time. So i tried out the hardy live cd and that worked fine apart from the wireless which could be sorted. I thought rather than do a complete install i'd just do a wubi install so i could play around a bit.

Unforunately after installing and booting up i had a brief glance at the desktop the screen went blank, there was a crackle and a puff of smoke........ And now its dead.
i know there could be any number of reasons but has anyhting happened like this before? Does anybody know of any specific software issues.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear of this occurrence.
It's been my experience that running Ubuntu live is a great way to tell if your computers components are compatible. Reading that you have indeed ran the Hardy from the live option and thus you should be ok regarding the OS & your computer, unless you did not run it long enough to check everything. However that said, I still cannot imagine it would cause what you experienced. The pop and smoke sounds more like something shorted out, again a hardware issue rather than software.

Also realisticly how do i stand in regards to getting a repair or exchange. I remember some guy not so long back having issues with some dead pixels and the shop doing nothing because he installed sabayon or some other distro.

I think it depends entirely on the computer makers policies on running an OS other than what came pre-installed on the computer.

To me this sounds like a hardware defect, not something related to any OS, Ubuntu or others for that matter. Usually the worst that can happen with a software fault is something not working like sound or your WiFi connection but to cause the failure you describe is not something that I've ever heard about.

However anything is possible and you may wish to wait until more people respond to this post.

Cheers!