PDA

View Full Version : Songbird, desktop media player mashed-up with the Web

ubulette
June 16th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hi,

some weeks ago, I decided to package Songbird.
Since that, I've been maintaining it in my PPA (https://launchpad.net/~fta/+archive). In order to get it in Intrepid, we (the Ubuntu MozillaTeam) would like to, among other things, make it use our xulrunner-1.9 SDK package, but it requires some real efforts, and we have so many things to do.

In the meantime, preview packages live in my PPA.
Feedbacks welcome. Needless to say it's meant to evolve a lot, it's still pretty raw on my side.

(I'll bump it to 0.6 later this week, i.e. when upstream will have the branch tagged properly)

Gina
June 16th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I tried Songbird a while back and rather liked it. That was in my early days of Ubuntu :) I'll give it another go :)

Ejas12
June 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
The latest version of songbird rocks!!, it works sweet in ubuntu 8.04.
I started with songbird when i Used XP (not very proud about de MS part) but it was so much faster than Itunes or WinAmp

C!oud
June 17th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Just installed songbird and so far it really does rock :guitar: definitely replaces Exaile for me. Really like it's performance too

Gina
June 17th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Just installed it too, let it scan my music folder and now playing the music :) Working well :):) Looking good so far :)

plun
June 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Songbird for Intrepid within your ppa looks broken to me....:confused:

----------------------

Thunderbird 3 is also broken, crash boom bang > seg fault , nightly build works ok.

:)

PS Songbird cannot beat Exaile...but I must test it. "Mozilla freak"..:lolflag: DS

vishzilla
June 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Songbird is gradually improving. It has good potential. I haven't tried it since 0.4. I read a positive review on 0.6, I will try it once again.

Gina
June 17th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Songbird for Intrepid within your ppa looks broken to me....:confused:I'm running it in Hardy ATM - i386 version. I'll try it in Intrepid (AMD64) later.

ronacc
June 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I was not very impressed by the earlier version , I'll give this one a try as soon as the AMD64 version for intrepid is available .

ubulette
June 17th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Songbird for Intrepid within your ppa looks broken to me....:confused:

a little bit of information would help. What is broken? anything in the error console?

Thunderbird 3 is also broken, crash boom bang > seg fault , nightly build works ok.

same thing, logs ? gdb stack ?

both works fine for me, intrepid i386 & amd64.

ronacc
June 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM
in your ppa songbird for intrepid has a red X for amd64 i386 and ipla , and songbird does not show in synaptic with your ppa added to sources ( it did add because I installed flock that way ).

plun
June 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM
a little bit of information would help. What is broken? anything in the error console?

Well, just take look at your PPA... red x for all variants as also ronacc wrote...

(going to check Thunderbird with gdb)

ubulette
June 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Well, just take look at your PPA... red x for all variants as also ronacc wrote...

oops, I forgot to push my fix. I have it at home. I'll post it later today.

plun
June 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM
oops, I forgot to push my fix. I have it at home. I'll post it later today.

Ok, thanks :D

----------------------------
TB3 crash, maybe its easier to visit IRC and discuss this.
http://paste.ubuntu.com/20850/

Eclipse.
June 17th, 2008, 07:52 PM
For anyone who cant wait the hardy version works ok on intrepid.;)

ubulette
June 18th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Here is 0.6. Enjoy.

plun
June 19th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks !

I directly was trying to find LastFm and it was a plugin.

This one was working, other Audioscrobblers was broken

http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/1208

A little strange solution when using the standard LastFM client but
it works.

Really "polished" app anyway and everything equal with Firefox.

:)

smbm
June 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
I used the version from your PPA on my Hardy 32 bit install.

I noticed a couple of problems, the iPod plugin doesn't seem to do anything. The cover art plugin is also broken.

That being said your version started much quicker than the tar.gz version from the website that I'm using now.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks for all your hard work maintaining the PPA and what not.