PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Starting Firestarter on Boot

idolguy
June 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I've been able to figure out I need to put Firestarter under Sessions Preferences in Startup Programs. I know that I'll click ADD. However, it asks for the command to start Firestarter. Would I use sudo firestarter or some other command? I'm kind of stuck because I know that the sudo command asks for my password to "authenicate" the command.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

kansasnoob
June 15th, 2008, 10:49 PM
What you need to understand first and foremost is that Ubuntu has a firewall running from the moment you install it.

That firewall is called iptables.

Beginning with Hardy ufw is installed which is a cli auditor for iptables.

But, most importantly, if you can do everything you want to do on the internet you're better off leaving everything alone! You are protected!

I heavily disputed this and I was wrong!

My one disappointment is that we can't log attempts to hack us without installing a front-end to iptables ................ but unless you're a super techie, I'd suggest leaving iptables alone!

frank002
June 15th, 2008, 10:51 PM
The only reason to use Firestarter is to change settings in the firewall(Ubuntu already comes with a firewall called iptables preinstalled). Are you trying to change iptables settings?

kansasnoob
June 15th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I guess I should have added that it is possible to edit sudoers to make Firestarter run at start up, but I seriously discourage it. It's kind of like leaving the key to the front door under the doormat.

st33med
June 15th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Firestarter, IMO, is not very good. You might want to use ufw instead.

Tutorial for UFW (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ufw-uncomplicated-firewall-for-ubuntu-hardy.html)

idolguy
June 16th, 2008, 02:26 AM
What you need to understand first and foremost is that Ubuntu has a firewall running from the moment you install it.

That firewall is called iptables.

Beginning with Hardy ufw is installed which is a cli auditor for iptables.

But, most importantly, if you can do everything you want to do on the internet you're better off leaving everything alone! You are protected!

I heavily disputed this and I was wrong!

My one disappointment is that we can't log attempts to hack us without installing a front-end to iptables ................ but unless you're a super techie, I'd suggest leaving iptables alone!
Okay, I have no need for firestarter then. I was unaware that Hardy has a firewall. I will leave it alone then.

Thanks!

idolguy
June 16th, 2008, 02:27 AM
The only reason to use Firestarter is to change settings in the firewall(Ubuntu already comes with a firewall called iptables preinstalled). Are you trying to change iptables settings?

No, I was unaware it came preinstalled with a firewall. I'll content myself with learning about the iptables firewall in Ubuntu Hardy.

Thanks,