PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] reinstalling ubuntu - how to?

paker
June 12th, 2008, 03:03 AM
As recommended, I divided the hard drive to 2 partitions. 4 GB and the rest 100+ GB. The latter is the home drive (for data) and the rest of ubuntu is in the first 4 GB partition.

Now I want to reinstall ubuntu without touching the home drive. How do I do it actually? I can install ubuntu in the 4 GB partition. Will this give me 2 home drives?
Thanks.

powerpleb
June 12th, 2008, 03:09 AM
As recommended, I divided the hard drive to 2 partitions. 4 GB and the rest 100+ GB. The latter is the home drive (for data) and the rest of ubuntu is in the first 4 GB partition.

Now I want to reinstall ubuntu without touching the home drive. How do I do it actually? I can install ubuntu in the 4 GB partition. Will this give me 2 home drives?
Thanks.

You will need more than 4gb most likely. You will also need a swap partition. Luckily all of this can be sorted out through the installer. You have to specify Ubuntu system partition as mount point "/" and home partition as mount point "/home"

when you say you don't want to touch the home partition, do you mean you have data in it already?

paker
June 12th, 2008, 03:18 AM
You will need more than 4gb most likely. You will also need a swap partition. Luckily all of this can be sorted out through the installer. You have to specify Ubuntu system partition as mount point "/" and home partition as mount point "/home"

when you say you don't want to touch the home partition, do you mean you have data in it already?
Yes, I have data in the home partition and don't want to erase it. I will follow your instruction.

PS: Yes, I have a separate swap.

powerpleb
June 12th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Yes, I have data in the home partition and don't want to erase it. I will follow your instruction.

Ok then be careful not to format the drive and you should be fine.