PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] Wubi on a mac

mk_gm1
June 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I recently tried Wubi on XP via Boot camp, hoping that it'd install Kubuntu.

It kind of worked, except it now takes 5 mins to boot up Kubuntu (it takes ages over doing something with the swap disk). When it eventually boots up it's very buggy, and I can't seem to do much without it crashing.

Any suggestions?

mfox
June 9th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Why not install Kubuntu independently of xp on BootCamp and make your Mac a triple boot option? I have seen posts that show this can be done.

Dougie187
June 9th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Yeah, i would go with mfox. I have heard a lot of issues with wubi. I would say avoid it if you can.

cyberdork33
June 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Most people have said that what you did works fine (though I think it was with Ubuntu, not Kubuntu). You can can do as others have suggested though, and do a full triple boot.

mk_gm1
June 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the help. I removed Kubuntu and installed Ubuntu with Wubi, and now it's working.

mfox
June 10th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I have had a similar experience with Kubuntu (vs Ubuntu) regarding the wireless connection, where U works and K doesn't, and this is with a Ubuntu installation running KDE (which is all Kubuntu is). This either transcends the platform or I am too new to Linux to know how to resolve it in KDE, but I have the problem on my PowerBook and also on a PC running a dual boot and communicating with a Linksys wireless PCI card. I'm going to ask for help in a separate post.