View Full Version : [ubuntu] allowing traffic from different subnet

June 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
HOw to allow traffic from a different subnet to access Ubuntu server.

Here is my setup

Firewall Machine-configuration( Firewall Machine have got two NIC's)
Ubuntu Server-configuration

So traffic from LAN(GREEN) going to Ubuntu Server(DMZ) is passing through the firewall.
How to enable ubuntu to accept traffic from the local LAN which is on a different subnet.

PC to Firewall works fine
Firewall to Ubuntu works fine.
PROBLEM IS PC to UBUNTU connection

The Cog
June 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Several things need to be checked for this to work.

If the PC is running a firewall, this must allow connections to the server.
The firewall must allow connections to the server (and replies back of course).
If the Ubuntu server is running a firewall, that must allow conections from the PC.

The PC must have a route to the server's network in its routing table, pointing to the firewall as the nect hop.
The Ubuntu server must have a route to the PC's network in its routing table, pointing to the firewall as the nect hop.

I guess you have thought of the firewall issues, so I guess you are probably missing a route. On Ubuntu you can check the routing table with the command:
and you should either see a default route or with as the next hop. If not, this command will add a default route to the firewall:
sudo route add default gw
You will need to make the gateway set at bootup. Best place to put it is as an up clause in /etc/network/interfaces - here is an example:

iface eth0 inet static
auto eth0

You need to make sure the PC has a return route too. On windows, I thnk route print should show you the routing table. I don't know where the default gateway is configured, offhand.

June 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
thanks worked problem solved... You LEGEND