PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Deluge of updates ...

fourscore
June 9th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Over the last couple of weeks there has been a deluge of updates coming in. The two kernel updates were released within about 10 days of each other. Some apps have had more than one update viz. Evolution total of 4 updates and the last two within a week.

Its becoming a bit irritating now. At last count i would have downloaded about 300 MB of updates. Why can't there be some planning/scheduling in the release of updates ?

wolfen69
June 9th, 2008, 02:38 AM
they release them as they see fit. you will have to contact canonical if you have a problem with it.

personally, i think it's a good thing. that means they are actively fixing the bugs, making it better for everyone.

you could have installed gutsy if hardy's update scheduling bothers you.

davidsrsb
June 9th, 2008, 03:20 AM
This will settle down to a slow trickle. If you want a quiet life never install a new distribution until a few months have gone by.
The alternative is worse, MS "patch Tuesday" queuing up critical security fixes for weeks, leaving users vulnerable.

starcannon
June 9th, 2008, 03:26 AM
There is a way to modify this behavior:

System-->Administration-->Software Sources-->Updates

Under Automatic Updates you may set it for longer time intervals or uncheck the box and it will require you to check for the updates manually by running the update manager located in System->Administration.

I leave mine set to daily, the last ssh security hole is a very good example of why one would want them as often as they can get them.

Soapbox below, read it or not, its cool either way

The very thing that your irritated about is something that I count as a feature; it is Linux though, and the nice thing is, as the tutorial shows, you can customize it, even if its something some would say is ill advised. Part of what makes Linux so great is the fact that they do not with-hold updates. When something is fixed its released.

There is another OS out there that hangs on to updates and gives you a big whollup of them every 3 months or so, leaving you with security holes and broken drivers, poor performance, and all the headaches that accompany those issues in the between time, and they are happy to charge you for the pleasure as well.

Anyway, hopefully not coming across harsh, but the thing your complaining about is one of the top 3 reasons I choose Ubuntu, I wouldn't want it to change. Security, Stability, Source

Paqman
June 9th, 2008, 03:32 AM
You don't have to install any updates if you want. Cutting down on the number of repos you've got active will also reduce the amount of updates you get. I would recommend not de-selecting the security updates though.

Personally, I like getting updates, but if you're on a slow or capped connection it could be a bit of a hassle.