PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wine cannot install icq

Luuka
June 8th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hey guys, I searched the threads for it, but I didn't find anything unless I was looking in the wrong place.

I need to install icq on my Ubuntu 8.04. I have wine and I downloaded the Install_ICQ6.exe but it doesn't work. It gave me false hope when it pulled up install shield wizard, but then this is what it said.

"Unhandled Exception
Error Number: 0x80040702
Description: Failed to load DLL: MoveIt

Setup will now terminate"

What do I do in this case? I'm not exactly sure how to go about installing things, if Wine won't even go past that screen. Any ideas, suggestions? I'm going out of my mind here.

django0909
June 8th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but can't you ICQ with Pidgin?

RequinB4
June 8th, 2008, 07:45 PM
You're on 6.04... what version is your wine?

wine --version

Might help a bit to upgrade, if it'll work at all.

Always check the appDB with Wine - http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=55

Edit - I'm assuming you want to use wine for a certain reason, because Pidgin (formerly gaim) does ICQ....

kellemes
June 8th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Pidgin (http://www.pidgin.im/) supports ICQ.

sudo apt-get install pidgin

Elos
June 8th, 2008, 07:48 PM
other clients i do not know but pidgin is a good program for icq and others (msn etc)

Luuka
June 9th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Well, see, that's not the problem. I figured that out eventually, thanks to my friend. He told me that after I posted this thread, but now my mom wants icq on her desktop. I finally got her into Linux, from Winblows, and while I have done icq using pidgin, she wants the full version, i.e. the Winblows one that has an animated avatar you can create. Have you guys seen that before? That's why I was trying to use wine, but it gave me that error? Is it possible at this point, or am I going to have go through the aggravation of reinstalling that terrible os onto a different computer just so that she can have her animated avatar.

yossibin
November 8th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Also ... ICQ supports sending SMS to mobile phone.
Pidgin is good enough to replace MSN (MSN is more user friendly with it's remote help request)