PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A few quick questions

Dark006
June 8th, 2008, 04:58 PM
1)Does the 'who' command show everyone thats on your wireless network? (kinda like "NET VIEW /NETWORK" in Windows, even if they're running Windows XP?)If not, anyone know of a way to check this out?

2)Is there a way to send messages to other people on your wireless (like NET SEND)? Again, also if I'm using Linux and they have XP?

3)Lastly, I was having problems with ndiswrapper. I decided just to have a direct connection rather than a wireless (because I couldn't figure ndiswrapper out). As far as I know, I had ndiswrapper at least extracted. Not sure if was really installed or not (still kinda new to linux). SO anyway, I just moved the whole folder that had the .tar.gz file, and the extracted files to the trash. Now when I try to remove them from the trash it won't let me. And my permissions say I can create and delete files. Any ideas?

quelx
June 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
1)Does the 'who' command show everyone thats on your wireless network? (kinda like "NET VIEW /NETWORK" in Windows, even if they're running Windows XP?)If not, anyone know of a way to check this out?
who only shows users logged into the system where who was executed. Your router or AP should show MAC addresses for computers attached to the wireless network.

2)Is there a way to send messages to other people on your wireless (like NET SEND)? Again, also if I'm using Linux and they have XP?

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/unix_for_dos_users.html

3)Lastly, I was having problems with ndiswrapper. I decided just to have a direct connection rather than a wireless (because I couldn't figure ndiswrapper out). As far as I know, I had ndiswrapper at least extracted. Not sure if was really installed or not (still kinda new to linux). SO anyway, I just moved the whole folder that had the .tar.gz file, and the extracted files to the trash. Now when I try to remove them from the trash it won't let me. And my permissions say I can create and delete files. Any ideas?

If you are using gnome as your window manager then try from the terminal
sudo rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/files/*

meindian523
June 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM
That's safe,it's only deleting files from your Trash.