PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error opening Xsane

parkinrg
June 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Hi , Can anyone help me
I have recently installed Ubuntu for the first time ( Ver 8.4 )and my Epson 1670 wont work !
When open Xsane and chose my scanner I get the following error message
Failed to open device snapscan :liusb:005:010': invalid argument
Any ideas ?

parkinrg
June 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM
If anyone is interested , I have just found out that if I reboot my PC and run Windows , then open Epson scanning software , then reboot into Ubuntu , the scanner works perfectly !! If I turn the scanner off and back on , the error re ocurrs !

drs305
June 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM
The following thread was successful for some people to get their epson scanners to work with xsane:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=108256&page=6

alienexplorers
June 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM
You need the snapscan 1.4 driver to run your scanner. You can find out more info by going to this page:
http://snapscan.sourceforge.net/

parkinrg
June 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks .I have downlloaded a file esfw30.bin , and need to save it to user/share/sane/snapscan . but there is not a folder called snapscan . I have tried to make one but it will not let me , also I can not save the file , tried changing the permissions to read write but no difference.
Ho w do I create folders in the file system and save files ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

parkinrg
June 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
.I have downlloaded a file esfw30.bin , and need to save it to user/share/sane/snapscan . but there is not a folder called snapscan . I have tried to make one but it will not let me , also I can not save the file , tried changing the permissions to read write but no difference.
How do I create folders in the file system and save files ?

drs305
June 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks .I have downlloaded a file esfw30.bin , and need to save it to user/share/sane/snapscan . but there is not a folder called snapscan . I have tried to make one but it will not let me , also I can not save the file , tried changing the permissions to read write but no difference.
Ho w do I create folders in the file system and save files ?

First, you will have to work with the .bin file. Make it executable by either right clicking on the file in nautilus and changing Properties to executable, or in terminal:

sudo chmod a+x path_to_file/esfw30.bin

Open your file manager, find esfw30.bin, and click on it. That will probably create a new folder. Look in the folder and there should be a README or INSTALL file with directions to follow to install the contents.

mikewhatever
June 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM
alt+f2, type gksudo nautilus, now you should be able to create directories and copy files. Changing permissions anywhere in the system tree is not recommended.

sharks
June 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM
or type sudo mkdir usr/share/sane/snapscan