PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] only getting 1.2MB/sec over network

billgoldberg
June 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I have a little network running here.

My desktop is running an upnp server (mediatomb)(wired) and I'm copying some files (2.4gb) to my laptop.

My router is capable of speeds up to 10MB/sec, so why am I only getting 1.2MB/sec?

I'm getting a wireless signal of 86% and the only thing going on internet wise is my brother playing COD4 online on the ps3 (wireless).

http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08230/screen177.png (http://xs.to)

viciouslime
June 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Is the laptop using the wired connection?

woodcarver
June 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Your brother is taking some of the bandwidth but not all that much. Alot of routers say they are capapble of 10 meg, but few really do that kind of speed. Is the cable CAT6 or CAT5? That will make some difference, also if you switch the cable to fiber-optic that will speed you up.
The signal coming to you can be slow too depending on the type of cable supplying the transmitter or radio.

Dark Aspect
June 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Try using a wired connection instead of wireless one,How fast is the network card on the laptop?

billgoldberg
June 8th, 2008, 11:04 AM
The desktop (where the server is running) is connect to the router through a standard (10 metre) cable.

My laptop is connected wirelessly to the router.

billgoldberg
June 8th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Try using a wired connection instead of wireless one,How fast is the network card on the laptop?

Don't have another cable available :p (well, not one that is long enough).

I have no idea how fast the network card is, how can I find out?

Nepherte
June 8th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Are you sure it's not a 10Mbit network? Mb = megabit, MB = megabyte. To check your network speed, right click on the network icon in the notification area and choose connection information. The network speed is listed under speed.

In case it is a 10Mbit network, you're getting pretty much the maximum out of your network: 1,2Megabyte*8 = 9,6Mbit (8 bits in a byte)

billgoldberg
June 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Are you sure it's not a 10Mbit network? Mb = megabit, MB = megabyte. To check your network speed, right click on the network icon in the notification area and choose connection information. The network speed is listed under speed.

In case it is a 10Mbit network, you're getting pretty much the maximum out of your network: 1,2Megabyte*8 = 9,6Mbit (8 bits in a byte)

Yes, I must be a 10mbit network, I always get them confused.

BTW, my network card is capable of 54 Mb/s.

It's a shame I can't upgrade my router, since my internet and digital tv (tv over ip) provider (belgacom) won't let my change routers, I have to use theirs.

But you should know that, judging by your location.

Nepherte
June 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Brr *Belgian isps*

If you're looking for a good digital tv provider: TV Vlaanderen. I'm a very satisfied customer. The quality is a lot better than Belgacom or Telenet. I can compare since I had both Telenet and TV Vlaanderen for a short while.

shifty_powers
June 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Yes, I must be a 10mbit network, I always get them confused.

BTW, my network card is capable of 54 Mb/s.

It's a shame I can't upgrade my router, since my internet and digital tv (tv over ip) provider (belgacom) won't let my change routers, I have to use theirs.

But you should know that, judging by your location.

that is in all likelihood complete ******** on the part of your isp. if it is just an ethernet modem/router, there is absolutely nothing stopping you buying one of your own......

philinux
June 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM
that is in all likelihood complete ******** on the part of your isp. if it is just an ethernet modem/router, there is absolutely nothing stopping you buying one of your own......

This is so true. I got my girlfriends old British Telecom router with their dedicated firmware. I used a needle to reset it. Then just set it up on my tiscali broadband. So the router change from a brick to a working router.

shifty_powers
June 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
they just say it because it makes their lives easier for support. but it really annoys me, as the routers that isp's supply are universally crap....