PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is installed application?

Arphahat
June 8th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I wanted to see if an app that I have been using in Windows was available, and it seems that it is. I was going to download and install FreeMind, but it discovered that it was already registered in the Package Manager. So, I marked it as "to be installed" and clicked apply. It appeared to install.

So, where is it? It isn't under applications, and I even rebooted thinking it would show up after that. If I go to "Add/Remove" under applications, it isn't listed as a choice there, either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

dmj99
June 8th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Just sort of guessing here . . . but I've found that some programs don't install a menu item for themselves. Might try looking in the bin folder for its main program file. Also might try synaptic; right click on the program and click the installed files tab. That will show you the location of all files the program installed. Should be one called freemind which would start the program. Hope this helps.

jeffus_il
June 8th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I wanted to see if an app that I have been using in Windows was available, and it seems that it is. I was going to download and install FreeMind, but it discovered that it was already registered in the Package Manager. So, I marked it as "to be installed" and clicked apply. It appeared to install.

So, where is it? It isn't under applications, and I even rebooted thinking it would show up after that. If I go to "Add/Remove" under applications, it isn't listed as a choice there, either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy
Open a terminal and type the program name at the command prompt (normally in lower case)
You can also type
which <programname>
to find out where the program is located

Arphahat
June 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks! That runs the program.

Is there a way to get the program to appear in the applications list? It is inconvenient to have to run it via the terminal.

Thanks,
Andy

Fedz
June 8th, 2008, 06:54 AM
It's rare it happens but, when it does I found going to Ubuntu > Applications > Add and Remove puts it there ;-)

On a secondary note however I have seen once it put in system > preferences.

ism.
June 8th, 2008, 06:59 AM
It's rare it happens but, when it does I found going to Ubuntu > Applications > Add and Remove puts it there ;-)

On a secondary note however I have seen once it put in system > preferences.

more specifically, system>preferences>main menu> then click the new item tab and enter in the name the terminal command and your other needs

-ism.